Covid-19 discussion

As far as I can tell, every single yoga studio in Portland has shut down and is now live-streaming.

I know so many people that are now unemployed overnight. Many are having to lay people off. This just sucks

13 Likes

Would anyone be interested in a thread to share links to small businesses where we can buy things we might need so that we can support them instead of big grocery stores and the like? Iā€™m thinking places like coffee roasters that have online ordering and delivery, places we can pay for a live stream workout, bath products (I def need some lotion for my eczema with all this hand washing), etc? Iā€™ll start it if people are interested

ETA: DONE! Share Your Favorite Small Businesses!

13 Likes

Yes. I have two amazing bookstores to recommend, including for ebooks.

7 Likes

My dadā€™s a software engineer and was just hired on for a six month contract in Portland. He was telling me this morning how much of a ghost town it is, and how surreal it feels to be a new hire when everyone he knows is losing their income sources.

7 Likes

Yes please! Realizing that due to wfh I am going to be out of coffee soon.

I have donated to 4 different relief orgs in the last few days. So many artists and service industry folks hurting. Going to prepay my hairstylist for the appointment I am cancelling. Semi-famous friends in a band had their tour cut short so I am probably gonna replace their bandā€™s t-shirt that fell apart.

I ordered more cat food from chewy even though we have 2-3 weeks worth. Boyfriend thought I was insane. But the order is backed up for up to 8 days due to demand. Not because of low stock but lack of people to fill so many orders. So I guess I wasnā€™t all that insane! Food wasnā€™t out of stock at least. Kitty litter is but we have a huge bin of that still.

9 Likes

My quaranTEEN.

(Everything is fine. He had a non-postpone-able appointment)

16 Likes

Unions in Italy are demanding the closure of post offices after the deaths of 2 postal workers who were on their job until a few days ago.

If package services are stopped globally or in the US, expect even more of a total economy shutdown.

Source is in Italian, so use Google Translate unless you speak Italian.

9 Likes

Went into work today to retrieve more supplies from my office and set my voicemail to ā€œemail me, do not expect a call back, call HQ if needed.ā€

Theyā€™re barricading key entry points.

I may have to go in on Friday or Saturday to retrieve my office plants.

Sent an email to my gyno/surgeon today inquiring about the likelihood of rescheduling my surgery. My momā€™s was just postponed for at least six weeks (removal of benign tumors along her spinal column).

12 Likes

Community spread was just officially announced for my county/city.

5 Likes

Weā€™re so deep in it in my state that I forgot other places donā€™t have community spread yet. Since weā€™re close to Seattle, weā€™ve had cases for 2-3 weeks or so.

9 Likes

I think I can kiss my surgery date goodbye most likely. :frowning: Because Iā€™m doing it outside of insurance it is considered cosmetic/elective.

13 Likes

Weā€™ve had cases here, but it hasnā€™t been community spread. Now it is. Iā€™m sorry the west cost has been suffering longer.

3 Likes

Right now the public health impacts still feel relatively small in my life, but the economic impacts have gotten extremely real. Our unemployment website went down yesterday from the load.

9 Likes

The day I saw there was a confirmed case in my county I assumed community spread. I wanted to say it was ā€œearly onā€ but JFC that was six days ago. Anyway, that was when testing access was even worse than it is now so the fact that someone was bad enough to need testing is a different category from people who are positive and just not being tested.

Iā€™m sorry about your surgery date. :frowning_face:

4 Likes

Read as ā€œUnicorns in Italyā€
:unicorn::it:

6 Likes

Ours in Washington as well.

I think I can kiss this political non-profit job goodbye.

7 Likes

Will someone please start a thread for resources for small business owners? I know we have several Owners on the forum, and my brother falls under that category as well. Things like good terms for loans and grants that are coming up because of this. Also anything that might be able to help his employees. Pretty sure heā€™s going to have to shut down and do layoffs soon.

I donā€™t have the focus right now, the baby keeps trying to eat my phone. Sorry.

10 Likes

I gotchu.

4 Likes

Iā€™m currently wondering if I should put all my activity memberships, which are all small locally-run businesses, on hold for the next month, because if we do anything it will be going outside to uncrowded trails, or if I should just keep them active, as I can afford it and maybe it will do a little part to help make sure they still exist after all this.

8 Likes

Weā€™re keeping SirBā€™s BJJ membership going even though he canā€™t go. We can afford it, and if everyone stops paying there wonā€™t be anything to go back to.

11 Likes