Covid-19 discussion

Better to have one delivery person dropping off packages to five households than five people going out and interacting with each other, with cashiers, etc.

Our county is now under shelter in place lockdown. It sounds like we may have officially confirmed community spread cases as well.

9 Likes

Yes, Iā€™m currently wiping down everything I bring home (whether we buy it out or someone delivers). Doing it by the door and not bringing bags in.

2 Likes

In short, yes, but with a shortcut.

We donā€™t have any delivery available, but I had the curbside person put stuff in the back while maintaining 6 feet distance. Brought just the stuff needed fridge or freezer in without touching (sleeves over hands, sweatshirt straight into the washer when all was done), then sprayed with dilute bleach and wiped off after a couple minutes - not an issue like it once would have been now that every damn thing is in plastic.
The rest is still in the truck where the delivery person put it. Weā€™re researching but think it looks like the virus wonā€™t live on packaging much over 24 hours. Nonperishables can just sit out there that long. Donā€™t know what weā€™ll do when it gets hot out, but thatā€™s a problem for late April or May me; mid-March me has enough to worry about.

4 Likes

Oh Iā€™m glad to hear that other people are doing this, I have been wiping everything down and also airing my clothes out after work

5 Likes

Yeah weā€™re washing everything. I caught my husband, the sweetest man in the universe, hand washing every egg because he couldnā€™t figure out a way to wash the carton and wanted to be extra careful. :joy::heart:

17 Likes

How is liquor not essential right now???

I donā€™t have NEARLY enough wine. This concerns me.

3 Likes

Some free fitness resources for anyone interested:

10 Likes

I feel stupid that I didnā€™t even think to disinfect my groceries.
That is not a sentence that I ever thought I would type.
What to use that is cat safe? I am still finding very little info on this. I know cat rescues and vets use something named, aptly enough, Rescue. So I assume thatā€™s safe around cats. I donā€™t know if it kills this virus though. ALso, of course, sold out everywhere :confused:

2 Likes

I am not wiping down my cereal boxes or other groceries. I have to draw the line somewhere or Iā€™m going to go crazy from anxiety. (I mean, obviously Iā€™ll still wash produce, but Iā€™d do that anyway.)

12 Likes

Me too. If I get more produce, maybe Iā€™ll wash it like a functional adult.

Drawing linesā€¦is it terrible if I buy clothes online, forcing people to work? I got rid of my worn out regular clothes when I hit maternity clothesā€¦ and now I have very limited clothes, stretched out by pregnancy

5 Likes

Youā€™re not forcing people to work. Youā€™re one drop in a raging ocean of other people also making online purchases.

2 Likes

This is not a weird, bad week. Itā€™s months, at least. Not clothing yourself doesnā€™t seem reasonable with these timelines.

9 Likes

Sorry, new questionā€¦how do you get groceries delivered? I just tried using one of our local chains and they donā€™t have any deliveries available for the next two weeks and drive-by pickup is only available at locations 15 miles away.

2 Likes

I usually donā€™t wipe my groceries as they come into the house, but Iā€™ll rinse off a jar before I open it. Otherwise the exterior germs might end up on the inside.

These days Iā€™m just doing a ton of hand-washing in general.

1 Like

What a difference a week makes. My parent who considered it a joke last week is now very concerned.

I suspect watching his investments devalue probably triggered the change of view more than anything, but he does seem genuinely concerned for peopleā€™s (and his own) wellbeing too and is instigating social distancing himself, beyond what the government is requiring :+1:

8 Likes

I personally plan to grocery shop normally since we are low risk and staying away from everyone in our lives that is high risk. Gotta draw the line of carefulness somewhere.

Have to get something from local butcher this morning and then Wednesday will brave my normal grocery store and Costco for stuff.

We went to the store Sunday but eggs were entirely out of stock and we realized we forgot a few nonessentials that would be nice to have. Our next door neighbors let us know they were going to the store and were able to get what we needed. It looks like weā€™re going to trade off going to the store and spread it out as far as possible, so we might get groceries every other week but only go to the store ourselves once a month.

We havenā€™t tried getting anything delivered but it sounds like services are swamped here too.

8 Likes

I wonder how much the decision to close schools will disproportionately affect lower income seniors because the families least able to work from home or work at jobs which close during these times will be the ones most reliant on older family members for childcare.

3 Likes

For now, my brother and his girlfriend have not had their hours cut even though their workplace has gone to drive-thru only. I suspect that they may see a slight increase in sales being one of five places open in town compared to one of twenty before.

Dadā€™s low income friends who live out in the rural areas have all lost their major income sources.

Sister 1 is still working for now, but we both suspect sheā€™ll have to apply for unemployment soon, she works out of a chiropractic clinic as a head receptionist.

I need to check in with Sister 2, she works as a manager at a retail store that sells groceries, home goods and clothing. Her partner works for an airline.

Setting up video chat dates with friends now that Iā€™ll have capable internet, need to set up the same with siblings.

Canceled brunch with my retired great aunt this weekend.

Still planning on surgery as scheduled.

Called yesterday to cancel therapy appt, they graciously offered over the phone instead, which I accepted.

14 Likes

I just need you to know that I love this so much. :heart_eyes:

1 Like