mint is shutting down šŸ˜«

For people who regularly use multiple currencies, this is the best one I have found

2 Likes

I use Tiller for assets (but still use YNAB for expenses & budgeting, Tiller doesnā€™t have a mobile app and I like to reconcile from my phone). I really like how it auto-populates a spreadsheet, which means I can set up a template to show me the info I want.

Template after a few years of tweaking, numbers are fake

2 Likes

Oh thatā€™s a cool view! Do you connect your accounts or import manually?

1 Like

I connect the accounts to Tiller. (Most months there are at least 1-2 connections that need fixing. Iā€™m not sure Personal Capital or Mint were any better though. I guess the whole system is just that brittle?)

Tiller dumps the updates in the first sheet, not shown here. Theyā€™re basically copied (referenced) in the colorful rows at the bottom of this screenshot, and then summed into buckets up top. The expenses breakdowns come from YNAB (the ā€œnotesā€ on each cell contains the query that I can paste into the YNAB search box).

2 Likes

Monarch looks really nice! Not sure I have the stomach for switching right now (and would keep Tiller for spreadsheets regardless) but will have to poke around.

My one gripe with Monarch (which may actually be with Plaid? ) is it does a terrible job picking up new accounts at an already added bank (Mint did this implicitly).

Example: if you move some of your savings to a new CD, you have to reload all your accounts from that bank. This then messes up your tracking by treating all those balances as new funds/income.

6 Likes

My favorite budgeting/financial tracking software, Mint, is shutting down at the end of 2023. Iā€™m trying to view this as a positive thing, I think Intuit is kind of an evil company and Iā€™m excited that I will be completely free of their products after Mintā€™s EOL. Also moving to a paid service without ads might be nice. But Iā€™ll miss the mostly accurate automated categorization, and being able to easily see trends and spending categories over a specified period of time.

What are your favorite tracking tools and why?

4 Likes

Hey welcome - there is a thread discussing alternatives you can check out!

6 Likes

Oh thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for

1 Like

I still use PC, and they were pretty aggressive for a while about calling me, but did eventually give up. It took a while though. It felt like the price I paid for a ā€˜freeā€™ service, but i agree it was mega annoying.

2 Likes

Hey hey looks like time to do a round 3 of the budgeting app games - if youā€™re going to try something out other than mint, might as well get stickers and a badge for it!

4 Likes

These are the apps in the review, for reference

App/Website Type of App Compatible OSes Other Notes
:sparkles:NEW Much App Budgeting, Goals Web, iOS, Android Free 30-day Trial, Costs after that
Mvelopes Budgeting Web, iOS, Android Free 30-day Trial, Costs after that
Splitwise Splitting expenses Web, iOS, Android Free
Tiller Budgeting and Investing Dashboard Web 30 Day Free Trial, Costs after that, free for students - Must have google account; Runs in Google Sheets
EMPOWER - WAS Personal Capital Budgeting and Investing Dashboard Web, iOS, Android Free; must connect some bank accounts
Honeydue Budgeting app for couples iOS, Android Only testing the free app (not the account) Must have 1 other person to test with
Pear Budget Budgeting Web 30 day free trial, costs after that
Toshl Budgeting Web, iOS, Android 30 day free trial, costs after that
PocketGuard Budgeting iOS, Android Free version - Good for Overspenders
Simplifi Budgeting web, iOS, Android 30 day free trial, costs after that
YNAB Budgeting web, iOS, Android 34 day free trial, free for students, costs after that
Fudget Simple Overview Budgeting iOS, Android $2.99, does not link to bank account
Monarch Money Budgeting and Goals Web, iOS, Android Free plan with Premium Upgrade, Free trial, allows you to budget with a partner
GNUCash Personal Double Entry Bookkeeping Desktop - Linux, Windoze, Mac Free and Open Source
:sparkles:NEW CreditKarma Successor to mint but has no budgeting Web, iOS, Android Free
:sparkles:NEW Weekly Budgeting iOS only Free on mobile, web costs money
4 Likes

Weā€™ve had Personal Capital (now empower) and abandoned it because we had trouble loading some of our accounts.
Iā€™m looking at it again and it doesnā€™t appear you can set budgets there either - am I missing something?

1 Like

It has something it calls a budget, but itā€™s just a total monthly spending goal, no specific category numbers. It does let you categorize each transaction, but itā€™s more retrospective/tracking than forward planning. I get more mileage out of their ā€˜cash flowā€™ view, but itā€™s still not a real budget.

Their target audience is definitely high income or high net worth people that dont care about budgeting or spending planning.

1 Like

Creditkarma just told me that my credit score ā€œunlockedā€ their budgeting and net worth features

4 Likes

hmm i am 803 and it didnā€™t do that for me :frowning:

1 Like

With creditkarma are you switching over to them, or are they moving everyone from mint? I tried a free monarch money and they extended my trial to 30 days. I might stay with them - it looks like I should be able to import all my mint data.

1 Like

Apologies if somebody mentioned this already and I missed it. Followed a tip from a similar thread on the Other Place today and realized I have access to Fidelityā€™s Full View tool, which seems to work much like Mint but with (IMO) a cleaner, more streamlined interface. Adding accounts was pretty easy ā€“ even let me connect to my Treasury Direct account (once I found the long-forgotten password I set up ages ago).

Not sure if you have to have a certain level of account balances there or not, but Fidelity has some pretty robust tools including this one (I love their Retirement Income Planner or whatever they call it these days) so might be a good fit for those who already have accounts there or are considering opening some.

Oh, and the Full View interface is powered by their eMoney software, which is what a lot of financial planners use. I was going to sign up for PlanVision to get access to it, but I guess maybe I already have it through this and the retirement planner?

7 Likes

@anomalily should this be added to the reviews?

2 Likes

Iā€™m liking Monarch as a mint substitute so far and I donā€™t mind paying for it. $100 for the year seems reasonable, and they are allowing me to import all my data from Mint. It seems less glitchy and problematic already and I got a real response from a person when I emailed customer service. I will probably stay with them. I do wish it updated my pending transactions into the balance, but thatā€™s a small complaint.

Referral link

This text will be hidden

3 Likes