Covid-19 discussion

Thanks for sharing that article. Very informative.

3 Likes

In follow ups sheā€™s done on her podcast, the research is even further in favor of the no obesity causal link now than it was back in August.

8 Likes

I mean, says who? The forum elite should not get to bully, just because they are the elite.

7 Likes

Hey, there arenā€™t forum elite. Weight loss talk can be triggering to folks, and for more general threads like covid-19, it is helpful to spoiler it just like other discussion likes pregnancy loss or gore-y things. No one gets punished for not doing it, itā€™s just a nice decorum principle.

8 Likes

I do agree it should be spoilered ideally, but we also need to make this a welcoming environment for growth and change. I feel like the way he reminded came across as fairly punitive, and I just donā€™t think thereā€™s call for that here.

13 Likes

Honestly the second reminder made me feel bad and with a head injury and age not helping I cannot guarantee that I will remember. It did make me wonder if I wasnā€™t welcome.

7 Likes

Everyone be nice please so I can get back to work <3 Remember that not everyone remember these things, and also please remember that you can end up triggering someone. Also say whatever you want on your own journal!

Itā€™s also fine to flag things and let the mods remind people about things like spoiler tags without bringing it up in the thread!

12 Likes

you are 100% welcome here. and itā€™s impossible to remember everything that needs to be spoilered, we all have different triggers, so itā€™s completely understandable.

(reminder that flagging these things for admins to mention privately feels WAY less punitive to folks then calling them out publicly!)

17 Likes

To move along the topic at hand:

There was a good discussing in a recent NYT daily email. Hereā€™s a screen cap from it that struck me.

12 Likes

I read that and proceeded to wonder about the viability of hiding under a rock forever.

11 Likes

Hard same

3 Likes

Sorry :grimacing: Iā€™m bad at collecting good news, especially on short notice.

4 Likes

I have a number of friends in oregon that are testing negative after getting symptoms, and then testing positive on a 2nd test. One friend said that her doc said that 30% of PCR tests are false negatives.

This leads me to wonder how much help ā€œpositivity ratesā€ really are.

10 Likes

Sometimes there is a shortage of good news to collect.

Iā€™m choosing to feel hopeful that some members of the public on this planet have the vaccine in their bodies now. This is the first moment of a turning point.

18 Likes

Oh, no, I read it in my own email (I also get the daily briefings) and wanted to hide under a rock. I am already back to ā€œhiding in house is just fineā€ mode.

5 Likes

Itā€™s interesting to hear your perspective on private versus public flagging. Some of the discussions Iā€™ve been following recently have talked about how when we speak up publicly it gives us all of a chance to learn and makes people who feel harmed feel less alone. (I can also see how it can feel like ganging up on a person though, too.) There are hard lines on unacceptable behavior, but there are also a lot of gray areas.

I also think that some of the discussion up thread could be interpreted as fat shaming and ableist. That a person with a health condition and a higher age (even if talking about oneself!) should be prioritized lower for healthcare triage than a younger, perceived healthier person. It very well might be the reality of how it works, but I still donā€™t think itā€™s right?

5 Likes

I think continuing this discussion might be better in the thread @Elle started rather than derailing this thread:

13 Likes

My friends teenage daughter tested positive today. Friend and teenage son will get tested tomorrow.

12 Likes

Iā€™ve seen several sites quoting a possible 30% false-negative rate for PCR and unfortunately I think itā€™s pretty accurate. The thing is that when true positive case numbers are low, it doesnā€™t matter ā€“ given a negative test result, and low community prevalence, youā€™re very unlikely to have covid. But now that so many places have very high case numbers, we canā€™t rely on negative tests.

5 Likes

Soā€¦weā€™re screwed?

vaccines. vaccines

10 Likes