Covid-19 discussion

Vaccines! vaccines rolling out as we type!

There’s a light at the end of the tunnel but damn I’m tired of waiting for it.

8 Likes

One epidemiologist friend in North Carolina

“The vaccine is a firehose…which doesn’t do great against a forest fire”

7 Likes

You are super included and welcome my friend

7 Likes

Yeah, husband’s hospital system won’t accept PCR tests because of the false negative rate. Employees have to go get the longer test in order to return to work, his took 48 hours to come back.

He just got his results back and thankfully he’s negative, but still not feeling well. At least we dodged this bullet for now.

6 Likes

I thought PCR was the longer test.

1 Like

Sorry @Cassie. I wouldn’t have been so blunt if I had known about the memory issues.

3 Likes

Oh maybe it is, I can’t keep them straight. Whatever the rapid test is the hospital won’t accept

2 Likes

Thanks so much.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing that article. The explanation of how different changes (out of necessity) amount to rationing of care was easy to understand.

The only thing I think they missed was how the quality of care is also worsened if the HCW are burned out, tired of dealing with anti-mask hostility and conflict, and whatever happens to your brain when you’ve spent nine months being afraid of getting infected, infecting your family, and possibly all of you dying. People that stressed don’t do their best work.

14 Likes

It feels a lot like expecting engineering to save us from climate change. But on a much shorter timescale.

6 Likes

My Dad just got his first dose of vaccine (the Pfizer mRNA one) today!

Honestly I’m surprised he got one already - he’s a hospital worker, but not directly on the respiratory ward and is only 58 with mild asthma. I suspect there’s an element of them still figuring out logistics so it’s easier to do a bunch of hospital workers once a dose of vaccine has been opened.

But still, it’s one step closer to a weight of his (and my!) mind :slight_smile:

36 Likes

Yay boopdad

5 Likes

Yay! Is he in the UK then?

3 Likes

Yep! (As am I, but I’m much further down the list!)

4 Likes

That’s awesome!

2 Likes

I’ve seen versions of this list going around a few places and wondered about it. This article doesn’t get super in depth, but it does point out how the list is misleading and a few things it’s missing (the 1906 San Francisco earthquake!).

(The headline is a bit over-the-top, to be honest.)

5 Likes

I know someone who broke quarantine, and I’m being asked to be chill and I can’t figure out what chill is

17 Likes

Pretty sure chill went into hibernation in March. Might reappear next year?

6 Likes

I keep seeing restaurants posting memes about governors pushing lockdowns strangling restaurants. I also know someone whose gym is still open despite shutdown orders because the owners think they will go out of business otherwise (and yes this someone is still attending classes…).

These businesses are definitely in danger. But I feel like they are directing their anger at the wrong people. Shutdowns wouldn’t be an issue if the US government were even trying to help businesses survive.

12 Likes

Broke quarantine after exposure or after a positive test? There is NO chill here. What is wrong with people?

3 Likes