Your Very Own Personal Shopper

That’s what husband wants, but even then I’m not sure what to use. Everything looks weird to me. And how do you have it be more diffuse for a large space and not feel like spotlights?

Here’s 2 more angles on the toddler mess, I mean, room, so you can get more of a sense of the space.

2 Likes

What about recessed lights? You’d probably have to do a couple on either side of the beam, so I don’t know how much it would cost, but it’d look nice and should be bright :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Definitely not willing to deal with wiring right now :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Totally fair :sweat_smile:

1 Like

If we do any projects, there are higher priorities like the fence that falling apart and the master shower which has a hole in the bottom :see_no_evil: (we patched it, but still)

3 Likes

For a completely functional update, why not just remove some links and pull the current fixture up higher? This will buy you time while searching for something that fits your needs better.

1 Like

It can’t go up much without hitting the beam, and when the nugget (play couches) get set up jumping high is a concern. Also a non zero interest in monkey swinging from the chandelier I’m trying to head off.

I feel like because of the closed sides this light would be mostly be blocked by the beam if you want it to shine into the other side. Can you find something more open on the sides?

Here are some not-that-ugly track light options. This site is the online site for Globe Lighting, so if it doesn’t work out you can return in store. My favorite is #2 (haha the name too). If it’s too dark in the other room I’d just get a standing floor lamp.

2 Likes

Are there no other light points on the other side of the beam? I think you will struggle to get light past the beam if you go with something too flush mounted.

2 Likes

I recently put a flush mount/flat pannel LED panel in my kitchen (something like one of these or these). I got one that was advertised as a shop light, but they make slightly more attractive versions. It wasn’t exactly the most cheap thing, but I can see stuff in my kitchen again.

1 Like

Nope, no other light points.

My worry with the floor lamp is the part monkey toddler issue. I try to set up my home so that I don’t have to constantly tell her no and set limits around every damn thing. Just assume I have a feral ocelot living in my home, and proceeded with decorating advice accordingly.

5 Likes

That is a tricky set of conditions. Maybe try a flush mount and then some sort of plug in wall mount on the other side?

1 Like

Oh that’s a good point, we did have a plug-in wall scones at one place we lived earlier to get around the floor lamp lamp issue. In that case it was a shortage of floor space as opposed to a feral being, but ultimately same constraint.

2 Likes

Oh and just in case I’m traumatizing the childless people in here, my toddler is definitely on the higher end of the bell curve for motor exploration insanity. :joy: fear not.

10 Likes

Haha in my case it’s more relief :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Swimsuit update! I followed the advice here and went to Target: I am even more confused about sizing than I usually am and had to try things on. It was picked over but I’m happy with what I ended up with.

16 Likes

Ok I need OMD interior design experts advice. I think I found the couch that I want to order, it’s a super good price and I really like the style. I just can’t decide which color will work best with my paint/floors. I really love the navy one, but I’m not sure that it would work…the tan/grey seems like a safer choice.

My downstairs is still very unfinished, but these are the best pics I have of wall color and floor. Just looking at these I am leaning grey/tan

7 Likes