Your Very Own Personal Shopper

Just kidding! You don’t get a personal shopper. Just a hoard of forumers good at googling or with a deep desire to share their favorite things.

I am creating this thread out of self-interest. I desire things, many things, but I am not a very savvy shopper or patient searcher. Please lend me (and perhaps others?) your expertise, OMDers.

14 Likes

I want to get some nice scented candles. Does anyone have favorite brands? I don’t like the over the top yankee candle stuff. I like more subtle and complex scents. Bonus points for small businesses I can support - I know a friend of mine is buying these cool witch candles but I feel weird in case I am being disrespectful of a religion.

5 Likes

I like Root Candles better than Yankee Candles, and I like Yankee Candles a lot. Root Candles are made in Ohio. They also make church candles, which my church buys, but those have no scent.

Really, I buy most of my candles at Aldi and they’re a little hit or miss. I don’t like flowery scents, so I’m picky.

4 Likes

Oooh these look really nice! Thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Recently discovered a great local-to-me candle maker with nice, subtle smells: https://sigilcandles.com/

Frozen pine is really nice if you like a woodsy, Christmas-tree smell

1 Like

Htbf really likes Wildwood candles, which was started by his old dental hygienist. Profits help support conservancy efforts.

I’m not a huge scented candle person, but I really liked the spice gingerbread sold by Kalamazoo.

4 Likes

Can I just say I love this thread idea? I Definitely will loop back at some point for clothes and/or home items, I’m sure!

7 Likes

My cheese grater’s handle keeps falling off. Any ideas for a new one? Preferably one with multiple sizes and a zester.

4 Likes

Witchcraft is not a religion*. Buy the witch candles. Support your local witch. (Or support me, though I am no longer local to you. But I don’t sell candles. You can just support me emotionally.)

*Some people, mostly Wiccans, disagree. As a witch who is also a pagan but not a Wiccan, this is my decided opinion.

(Uh, sorry, I have no input for your actual question.)

5 Likes

I like this one but I don’t think the small screen is as small as a zester. I’ve used it for zesting a ton of lemons at once though. It converted my then teenager to buying cheese in blocks instead of pre-shredded and I still use it regularly.

4 Likes

Seconding all of this, except as a druid who also does some witchy shit.

3 Likes

Is there anything OXO does that isn’t the best? That’s mainly rhetorical, but just like… they’re so good. At everything. They even make the best BABY WIPE dispensers, and pocket bibs. I may be developing a crush on OXO…

8 Likes

I’m pretty sure my sister has this exact one as well.

I have a regular old fashioned stainless steel box grater (I only use the biggest grater hole side) and a Microplane 40020 zester for citrus zest, hard cheese, nutmeg.

3 Likes

When I read the original post I was going to suggest this!! There are a couple different versions of it with different screens. I wish you could buy the screens you want to add to it. But it’s marvelous.

3 Likes

I really respect that they were “we could probably make a lot of money if we didn’t make the cheapest thing, but instead made a thing that is easy for most people to use. We believe they’ll be willing to pay extra for the high quality” And they were right.

5 Likes

As somebody with some hypersensitivity issues, Paddywax is the only candle brand I’ve been able to put up with. I especially like the ‘sea salt’ scented ones.

3 Likes

Yes. Be available in Australia at easy-to-find and non-Amazon physical and online outlets.

Otherwise, I need more OXO stuff. They make it hard for me to give them my money sometimes.

2 Likes

Oh nooooo. That is a bummer.

2 Likes

I need a bike rack for a small car (2014 Prius C). There are discussion boards for Prius owners about this, but you are all good at the internet so I thought I should check here too.

1 Like

Does anybody have a favorite low-profile running shoe?

These are the brand of running shoes that I’ve worn for 7-8 years; I keep buying the exact same model over and over again as old ones wear out, but now they’re discontinued and I can’t even buy used ones in my size. I found (after reading about barefoot running) that a 0 drop low profile shoe is what I needed for my running gait to avoid shin splints, but that I like to have some cushioning since I run only on pavement and the complete minimalist shoes don’t feel good.

https://www.amazon.com/Mizuno-Womens-Wave-Evo-Trail-Running/dp/B00CSI57RS

2 Likes