Your Very Own Personal Shopper

Same here.

2 Likes

I’d go rectangular or oval…it seems like a round rug would leave too much floor exposed even after adding a chair/table

3 Likes

Yoto mini is so damn good. 10/10 for my almost 5 year old. Extra set of make your own cards is :100:

1 Like

Ok that’s what I was thinking, too…but I never trust my instincts with buying home things, because I feel like they are always wrong :joy:

4 Likes

I feel you.

1 Like

rectangle

1 Like

We love our Yoto mini! I don’t think there’s any other product with a similar form factor, though there are larger competitors.

1 Like

Can anyone recommend a decent beginner keyboard (digital piano)? Not too cheap but not too expensive, “good enough” for a beginner. Is there anything that won’t break the bank but that is decent enough? With weighted keys? $1000-ish or less? (Is that asking too much?) I know you can get absolute garbage for not a lot of money, but can we do a little better than that?

3 Likes

I got a Yamaha P120 (it was great!) but that was like two decades ago. I’ll check on the piano forum and see what people are recommending!

1 Like

Ooh, would you? I don’t know where to look, and the info is overwhelming.

1 Like

I’ve been really happy with my Yamaha Clavinova digital piano. It looks like a very small upright piano and I was able to find it used for around $350.00. It’s very old but still works fine for my current purposes. I actually got it at a piano store that had new and used digital pianos, so if you have a music store in your area you might be able to find something older that is under budget. I also see these pretty frequently on craigslist and FB marketplace in my area because they are “outdated” but for a beginner I think it would be great especially if you don’t want to spend a lot. I did read on a piano forum that the Yamaha Arius YDP-105 is pretty good, and it’s right around that $1K price point. But I would bet you can find something pretty good that is used and less than that!

2 Likes

I posted on the new piano forum to see if someone has a recommendation.

hidden under cut - use ad blocker

You can also dig around the Digital Forum on Piano World (or ask there)

but I would not recommend accessing that website without an ad blocker (I use the Brave browser). New owners took over Piano World and there are some malicious ads, so I’m no longer participating there on principle. It’s still pretty active though.

1 Like

We got mine from Costco under $400 around Christmas! It’s worked great so far.

Adding to all the recs for a used Yamaha. I don’t remember what my model is other than that it’s full sized with weightes keys. I’ve had it since 2008 and it’s moved with me 12 times, had a small child banging on it for the last 3 years and it still works great. Mine has separate speakers that need to be plugged in.

Any recommendations for a solid tablet?

We want our nanny have a tablet to begin doing more mental load type things while kiddo is at school. So we want the right compromise between price and function, but it doesn’t have to be kid proof.

1 Like

I have an anti rec? Amazon Fire tablets are weak sauce. I only wanted one for kitchen tasks (recipes and movies while doing dishes), and playing games on a larger screen during travel. And it managed to disappoint.

I have generally been happy with electronics refurbs off woot.com (warning: owned by Amazon), and they currently have some older iPads at almost every price point. But I don’t know enough about Apple products to say how far back might be a good value. Cheap Computers | Woot

4 Likes

I’m kinda anti Apple. Nothing in our house is Apple, even though I know iPads are great. Thanks for letting me know to avoid the Fire.

My mom had a Fire and also hated it.

2 Likes

Fire tablets can handle two things: playing tv shows/movies from Amazon prime or from Netflix.

Other media apps (Hulu, Peacock, etc) - lots of bugs. Can’t handle browsing at all.

2 Likes

We also had a fire and hated it.

1 Like