Your Very Own Personal Shopper

Thirding leather gloves. They’ll still get pierced by especially nasty thorns but they do a way better than cloth.

3 Likes

Anyone have any tips for buying furniture on Wayfair? Are the reviews usually reliable? Any brands you’d recommend? Suggestions for nice patio furniture?

1 Like

Also doll hands. I have these and they’re great

5 Likes

Oooh, I like those because I don’t think I want extended cuff. Thank you!

1 Like

I’ve bought a decent amount of items from Wayfair and I’ve been happy with most of it. I think my only complaint has been my current bed because they drawers will not stay together. Everything else has been good. I do always go carefully through the reviews but I do remember buying the bed in a bit of a rush so maybe I wasn’t careful with that one.

6 Likes

I’m the same…I haven’t bought a lot, but a few things, and when the reviews have been good I’ve been happy.

4 Likes

I’ve generally found it to match the photos, not too hard to assemble, but not always as well thought out as IKEA… The last thing we got, a liquor cabinet, the middle shelf joining cabinet w/hutch was drilled upside down… We ended up dealing with it by husband drilling through, and months later putting putty in the hole. May have been more of a deal breaker for some.

The hole is under the watermelon. It’s an important piece and asymmetrical… But we figured we would usually have something on it so no one would know!

8 Likes

The less well thought out tallies with stuff we’ve assembled for my mom from Wayfair. Similar to Walmart furniture- just less thoughtfully designed, stuff that you’re like “wait why”. Screws visible on fronts instead of tucked to the side, weird order on directions that makes life harder, stuff like that. Little annoying things.

4 Likes

I’ve had the same experience with Wayfair. I generally like what I’ve bought, but sometimes the assembly is just…a wild experience. My current nightstand was in like 100 pieces, and involved drilling into solid wood with zero guidelines on where to drill/how deep and of course now the wood is splitting because I’m not a carpenter…haha. But I love how my nightstand looks! Just wish it was a little more assembly friendly

5 Likes

So what kind of light fixture do we put in our new dining nook? It’s a banquette that husband has just about finished building, in a nook off the hall and just behind the kitchen. Fairly open plan, can be seen from the living room and part of the kitchen. The wiring for a light is not centered over the table, and every other room in the house has a ceiling fan with cherry wood blades and brushed nickel fittings. Could do a fan there, but it would have to have much shorter blades than everything else.

I know not a long, narrow chandelier or row of pendant lights (see not centered over the table) and not a boob light because I hate them. But those are my only ideas.

3 Likes

Photos? Most of the time if it’s not centered you do a hanging light on a chain with a ceiling hook so that it’s centered.

4 Likes

It’s still a construction zone where he’s building the banquette, so I’ll come back with photos when they’ll make sense.

1 Like

That’s what we had to do for our dining room.

It was pretty easy.

5 Likes

Hmmm. Our rafters are on 24" centers, and I’m not sure if we’ll be off center by quite that much, so may not be able to center something perfectly,* but we could get it close.

*The ceiling is just drywall.

3 Likes

Maybe some sort of clustered light, with cords that can be swagged over to the center?

5 Likes

There are some incredible anchor things for drywall that can hold astonishing amount of weight. Depending on the fixture you choose, you might not need a stud to swag it over.

2 Likes

I need to pick out new laundry machines.

Needs:

• High capacity
  • Clean out in front
  • Front Loader - I thought I wanted a top loader till we stayed at my mom’s, and using hers for a few weeks changed my mind on that

I am not picky about a lot of options on cycles. Really, all our clothing is low maintenance, so it all goes through on the normal cycle.

I have heard terrible things about Samsung, so avoiding that brand

3 Likes

Speed Queen always gets great reviews. They also tend to be $$$$.

I have a Maytag I got six years ago that’s still going strong. One thing I like on it that I need to use more is the delay start function - put the laundry and soap in the night before, have it run first thing in the morning and then I can shift the laundry over to the dryer. (We’ll not talk about the load of clean laundry I have still in the dryer for the … second day? I think?)

4 Likes

We really like our GE fresh vent washer. The vents and being able to close it is such a game changer for front loads. We’ve had them going on 4 years now, still quite happy.

3 Likes

please ELI5? (as your time allows, of course)