Your Very Own Personal Shopper

Thank you for this. I went with adobe and it’s working pretty well. I had a vision of an app that I don’t think exists but this is a good start!

3 Likes

So in a couple months I’ll be headed to Italy, and I need some assistance clothing-wise. If I was going on my own I’d take my usual travel gear: hiking boots, a couple pairs of convertible pants, and a few shirts and jackets. Unfortunately this is a trip with parent and spouse and some of the accommodations and meal arrangements they’ve got are not places where I’d fit in in my usual travel gear (I’m not so sure I’d even be let in in a couple places). Having said that, I do not have or want to deal with lugging a lot of luggage or jewelry or whatever, so can someone suggest:

• Plain black (or brown, I guess) hiking boots that can be shined up to look passably dressy in a nice restaurant
  • Any brands of plain black (or brown) quick-dry pants that don’t look like hiking pants…basically again can pass for dressy. On the men’s side golf pants seem to work well here, but thus far I haven’t had any luck with women’s (and I’m a woman who comes with pesky hip things so shopping on the men’s side doesn’t work here)
  • Any brands of nice shirts that pack down small enough that I could throw in one or two and make those my change for the evening . I’m fine as far as plain shirts and a vest or two for during the day, and worst case will just take a few pieces of jewelry to dress them up for dinners, but realistically I don’t own that much jewelry either.

ETA: Hoping to not spend $$$ here, but the thrift stores near me no longer have rooms to try things on in-store, and returns can only be done for credit which is limiting to the point I’m willing to buy new if I can find a few pieces that meet the criteria in question

4 Likes
  1. blundstones - but buy now and break in. Or for summer/early fall bring ballet flats (toms/bobs are great for city walking. I do short hikes in those and allbirds ballet flats till I run through the soles because I hike in ballet flats) or buy sandals there.
  2. linen? Or are you more pant pants or would you do leggings? I want to say linen or uniqlo for pant pants
  3. linen or any thin cheap blousy thing. H&M would work for not linen
  4. how do you feel happy dressing?
3 Likes

This includes plenty of things you didn’t ask for, but I am in bed not asleep

3 Likes
  1. For shoes you could always take your regular hiking boots and pack a very lightweight dressier pair. Toms like Elle suggested, or these super light suede shoes: Nisolo | Women's Sedona Lightweight Derby | Slate Grey

2. Athlete, Title Nine, and Lululemon all have quick dry, dressy looking pants. Not cheap but you could buy 1 pair directly and any more pairs of eBay/Poshmark once you’ve figured out the style/size. https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=982872032

3. For lightweight travel tops, my go-to is Uniqlo heattech thin long sleeve. Of course you could get more creative, but this top spans wilderness hike to medium-fancy restaurant. https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/products/E460354-000/00?colorDisplayCode=09&sizeDisplayCode=005

2 Likes

Don’t underestimate the power of a nicely patterned/colourful scarf to elevate an outfit. Also very useful in instances of unexpected cold, can be folded up into a little pillow for napping on the plane, and can give extra coverage if going into a fussy church.

6 Likes

Not horribly expensive frying pan that will last more than a year or 2 before starting to flake off?

We got ceramic pans from Target when we moved here 2 years ago. Now they are starting to disintegrate. So they lasted longer than other cheap shit but not long enough.

I don’t want cast iron. Whatcha got?

4 Likes

how do you feel about “The Rock” by Starfrit? they’re cheap, and I love them. They last about 3 years of heavy wear, and don’t hurt to replace. They don’t flake, they just get less ‘non stick’ until they aren’t good for eggs any more.

eta: we bought our first one because a random shopper started gushing about hers when we were at Canadian Tire looking at the wall of options and complaining about how tfal doesn’t last.

We now keep 3 sizes so I’m ready for any frying pan occasion.

1 Like

For Christmas I got a set of Ninja pots and pans - Neverstick Premium. So far I have been very happy with them. You can even use metal utensils (so they say). You can buy pieces separately as well.

1 Like

I’ve been really happy with my Greenpan pans. I got one at TJ Maxx on clearance, and another at Costco. They are super easy to clean and don’t chip or flake. I think you aren’t supposed to heat them up super high, but I have and nothing has happened. I do think it’s not great to use cooking spray on them, so I just use butter or olive oil, but they are pretty non stick so you don’t need a lot

3 Likes

I feel like that is what we bought last time? Maybe it was a knockoff.

1 Like

I’ve been really happy with plain stainless steel, even for eggs.

3 Likes

Stainless steel and enamel coated pans (Staub, Le Creuset, etc.) are most durable, outside of cast iron. Sometimes you can find very inexpensive options for the latter at TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross (like $30) but you have to be willing/have time to bargain hunt.

Otherwise, stainless is what restaurants use. If you heat the pan before adding oil, that helps it act more nonstick. The only stainless pot I’ve had to replace was 20 years old and very thin to begin with.

5 Likes

I think nonstick pans have a limited lifespan no matter what. I have one for eggs and try to reserve it for that, and they last a few years. I keep my eyes open at the thrift store for one in pristine condition since they just don’t last.

Otherwise, good stainless pans. I’ve got some of the enameled cast iron from Aldi and it’s really nice for $30.

6 Likes

Once I learnt the water balling trick cooking with stainless has been so much easier than my nonstick! But we always use oil. If you need to not use oil, I think we got the most life out of a green pan.

4 Likes

G couldn’t get the hang of stainless, but I have him on well seasoned cast iron now. It really doesn’t take much oil.

Otherwise the Rock were my longest lasting

1 Like

Are there any gardening gloves I can purchase that will ACTUALLY protect my hands (pref. on both sides!) from the spiky plants and weeks that come up in my garden here in Denver? All the ones I have still have tiny little prickers in them.

Relevant information: I have doll-sized hands.

3 Likes

Have you tried any leather gloves? I’m especially thinking about leather rose gloves, something like this: Garden Rose Glove - Offwhite | Hestra Gloves

(I haven’t tried those exact ones, but I grew up using something similar and they’re great)

3 Likes

I think I’ve only had leather palms maybe? That’s a good suggestion- thanks!

Has anyone tried these in particular or another brand you like?

1 Like

I don’t remember what brand ours are, but I’d second leather gloves. I think we got ours at Jax Farm and Ranch, they look kind of like this. I don’t have the extra padding in the palm, though, that might be nice.

1 Like