Yoga With Adrienne - 30 Day Journey

I have short arms and, uh, full upper arms, and my shoulders just do not like binding behind the back! That’s where I felt the hard stretch. Oddly (? or not?) I love chest openers with arms/elbows out (eg angel wings, cactus arms) or forward, eg puppy pose, wheel, etc!

3 Likes

Today kind of kicked my butt - the side planks and whatever it’s called where you’re in table and stick out diagonal appendages. It did go by fast, though. I might do those moves again later just because I didn’t feel like I did them for very long time-wise since I was more focused on making sure all the parts were where they were supposed to be and everything wanted to be shaky.

Does anyone know of a good reference for modified yoga moves? She mentioned the blocks briefly today but a visual source ahead of time would be handy.

7 Likes

Day 3 is complete. I’m pleased to be off to a great start and also to see so many of you are too!

2 Likes

I did not do day three. I had a vaccine booster and one of the side effects was eating pizza on the couch and going to bed. But due to time dilation and time travel and time zones I might try something today. Pending injection arm soreness. 27 minutes straight of child’s pose?

9 Likes

I’ve seen these called “bird-dogs” in lifting programs.

3 Likes

This is what my PT called them, too. They were my favorite of my lower back PT regimen. Like many other things we’ve done over the last three days, they were super hard today, so this is another thing I should be doing more of.

3 Likes

Today is gonna be hard. I’m upset, tired, and my shoulder hurts.

4 Likes

I woke up at 7 today so I could do yoga and still be at work by 9 but then it was cold so I stayed in bed until 8:20.

Just finished though! I think I did the best bridge of my life when she said to send my shins forward.

Also boy are my hips tight. I haven’t done warrior poses in… since last January and I am NOT square.

In better news it’s been 2 days and my calves are already much more flexible in down dog

8 Likes

Those were some of my favorite poses all put together! That said I totally cheat on warriors/lunges by “bouncing” sometimes. I figure it’s better than not finishing, I just feel like I’m going to cramp and need some blood flow or something.

4 Likes

I did day 3 and felt way better afterward. Was just more gentle on myself with the downward dog today, which my shoulder could do but not for long.

4 Likes
4 Likes

I don’t know what she’s doing in that thumbnail but it looks hard :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Pretty sure that was an optional add on that I passed on.

1 Like

I did this bullshit day 4. It was fine. It looks challenging but it wasn’t a big deal. Like 1/3 of it is sitting down doing breathing and then 1/3 is lying on your back “relaxing.”

But honestly, it’s not all that relaxing if you have a three year old and your spouse is cooking breakfast?

“MAMA what are you DOING?”
“meowlet leave mom a lone”
“MAMA why are you doing YOGA?”
“Meowlet do you need to pee”
“NOOOOO”
“MAMA MAMA MAMA HI MAMAAAA”
“Meowlet 5 more minutes”
an alarm goes off on the phone in another room
“MAMA WHAT IS THAT SOUND?”
someone calls MrM
“Honey looks like I have to cancel an appt”
“MAMAAAAAA I AM ON YOUR BACK”

and the entire time the cat is trying to escape the toddler and also I am trying to hear WTF Adrienne is telling me about flow and how to move my foot somewhere I guess?

10 Likes

That is hard. You can take this or leave it, but I think you deserve to have 30 minutes to do yoga with absolutely no chance of interruption from Meowlet and MrM needs to have your back to make that happen :heart:

7 Likes

Awww, thank you. Normally I’d agree but daycare is out and MrM is primary parent doing potty training while I work all day. We are in a small 2BR apartment. No one is escaping anyone in this situation, unfortunately. We are all doing our best with no support and no one’s getting a break.

10 Likes

Stories like this (not just from you, also IRL friends, reels, etc) make me more and more committed to a plan of leaving Future Hypothetical Child with husband early and often, and removing myself from line of sight.

It probably won’t work. But damn if I won’t try.

4 Likes

It may not comfort you to know that MrM was primary parent for Meowlet for the first 1.5 years of his life while I was working full time. Good luck :wink:

5 Likes

You should also plan to not have your child raising years overlap with a pandemic. I know that was an oversight on my part. :wink:

This thread is reminding me I need to go do my yoga now, and not later when Kiddo is home.

8 Likes

Yep - My husband is the stay at home parent and I am still 100% the only one they want for everything. I think it’s a mom/food source thing more than a primary parent thing.

3 Likes