Yoga With Adrienne - 30 Day Journey

I managed to clear space in the dining room and bring the yoga mat up from basement storage. Then I sat on the couch with a can of pringles. Maybe my motivation is hiding at the bottom of the can.

5 Likes

OK, I did it. That was much harder than it would have been 2 years ago. Clearly this is going to be good for me.

5 Likes

I have completed day 1. Most of the difficulty is putting weight on my wrists and knees. My kneecaps like to slide around all weird when I do lunge-y things. Any ideas on how to make that not happen?

7 Likes

I read somewhere (severals somewhere) that failure is good for building the character so I guess I’ll sign up. If i fail, it’ll just help my resiliency in face of failure right?

8 Likes

Day 2.

4 Likes

I did a day 2 prenatal bedtime video. This vhallanege is definitely hitting my emotional barriers to practice

5 Likes

Did day 2 and then the last bit of day 1 I didn’t get to yesterday. A little extra plank I think but basically I did double cool downs which I’m fine with.

2 Likes

I didn’t know I had wrist trouble until Day 1. I had to stop one of the planks not because my core gave out but because my wrists did.

Sorry I have no solution to offer, just commiserating.

2 Likes

Activate your quad muscles. The muscles around your knee cap are what hold it in place and when those muscles aren’t strong enough the knee cap likes to move around. Women are biologically at higher risk of of knee injuries (especially patella injuries) because our ligaments around the patella are flexible and at a slightly odd angle due to our hips being wider. When you focus on activating/flexing your quad muscles, the muscles hold it in place. Eventually the muscles get big enough/strong enough in that area that they hold it in place without having to focus your thoughts on activating it.

I have torn all the ligaments that hold my patella in place twice on the same knee and had two surgeries to fix it. Since I’ve been lazy and busy having and raising babies for a few years I feel like I’m back to step one again and have to super focus on keeping my patellas in place. Even just walking around sometimes!

6 Likes

I did one day of yoga in the tv room with a nice thick rug and this morning had to do it in my bedroom on hardwood floors and briefly used a towel. The rug definitely helped so now I’m looking at getting an exercise mat online that’s on the thicker side.

Side note, there’s a $160 mat on sale from $234. It’s made with “comfortable closed-cell foam material” and also presumably unicorn tears or something.

3 Likes

I have a double layer of (thin) yoga mat on hardwood floors. I’ve tried on the LR rug in the past, but the mat slides.

I got a beautiful thick exercise mat through BN, but it is too short for me to plank on!

3 Likes

I did session 2. I would like to say that I am pretty impressive as a human okay? I was up at 4:15am to put my kid on the potty as he slept, and then couldn’t go back to sleep so I was up at 6:30 to out him on the potty and put on some cartoons. I made breakfast while watching k drama. Pancakes with choco chips and walnuts. And coffee. Then my child decided he wanted to be naked. And my husband woke up. So I did yoga with a naked three year old running around,.climbing over me while doing child pose, and my husband half asleep trying to make sure said naked child wiped his butt properly after pooping.

Also those planks, they are a lot, and my core is jelly. But anyway day 2 in the books.

11 Likes

I just finished and I’m sweaty again! Those planks and lunges are no joke!

I feel like last year she started out more gently. But maybe I was just in better shape.

6 Likes

It’s very bold of her to start this strong going into year 2 of pandemic

5 Likes

Maybe she’s trying to help us work out our rage

7 Likes

Day 2 is done! About 12 hours earlier in the day than yesterday, too. I have to shovel lots of heavy wet snow today and knew I wouldn’t do this after. Also, it was a good excuse to delay shoveling. I will now delay further by fixing lunch.

5 Likes

I’m watching you all and cheering from the sidelines - I tried her 30-day challenge a couple years ago and ended up screaming obscenities at her, to the point that Boyfriend came in and was like, uh, are you OK? Pretty sure that’s not a good thing to do during a yoga practice but the routine fucking HURT. Sounds like this year’s is even more intense?

Anyway - you all are rockstars!

6 Likes

@Elle, any prenatal yoga recommendations? I used to love Shiva Rea’s prenatal yoga but that was many years ago and perhaps there is something newer!

I finally got day 1 done today! I do not expect to finish this challenge. I am a full-time work-on-site paycheck employee with school age children and I do want to continue making time for my other favorite exercise, Jazzercise. I expect that long before I get to day 30 at that pace, I will need to switch to prenatal yoga, but we will see how it goes. I am hoping to try as many as I can.

@Greyweld, I noticed the same thing as you! I have done a lot of YwA videos and this one was very wrist-forward.

Evidently she really struggled with burnout and the exponential growth of her business (which wasn’t set up for pandemic levels of devotion) during 2021, so I just hope she is making the videos that make her feel good!

7 Likes

I did a lot of sarabeth yoga prenatal in my first pregnancy. But I’m in worse shape now, so some is too much :joy:

Boho beautiful had a baby last year, ignore her antilockdown stuff and she has great calm yoga. Again, more physical.

And I’ve been enjoying some from Pregnancy and Postpartum TV

5 Likes

Just did day 2. So far on schedule as I did day 1 yesterday.

Yesterday’s practice was rather smooth for me as I used it as a sort of cool down after a strength workout and/or a warmup for a longer stretching session (I did a weirdly high amount of excercise yesterday).

Today I felt a little sore from all of yesterday, so certain moves were a bit more challenging. I am always surprised by how small adjustments can make the yoga moves so much harder! My plank is usually really solid but when she said ‘make yourself a dome and put your hips forward’ I really felt my abs straight away while usually that takes quite a while. I also like the breathing practice as it forces me to be patient.

Anyways, I have no clue whether I will be able to keep up but being in lockdown here improves my chances considerably.

6 Likes