Yoga With Adrienne - 30 Day Journey

I figured finishing the last 10 days of this is as good a way to end a workout hiatus as any…

Day 20 is hard to restart from. My upper body did not appreciate the planks it was like… Why?

5 Likes

Welcome back!
Sorry about the planks.

1 Like

I did not, in fact, do my practice during the day. So it came to 11:whatever in the evening, I paused figure skating viewing, and did a 12-minute core practice (the Feb 16 Yoga for Abdominal Wall). No planks, but a whole lot of boat.

6 Likes

Day two of yoga for sleep

7 Likes

I finally got around doing day 27!

I’ll admit that abs and particularly plank-related things are MY THING, so although it was challenging with a lot of repeats I got through smoother than expected after others’ reviews here. The three legged dogs on the other hand… not my thing so much.

3 Likes

I googled open vs closed twists and am not sure I am picturing it. Is a closed twist where you are sort of pretzeling yourself, like you have crossed the right leg over the leg and then also put your left elbow on your right leg? And an example of an open twist would be, like, you are sitting cross-legged and you do a twist? Am I asking in a way that makes sense?

I was already modifying pretzel-y twists because they felt bad.

I am 12 weeks and probably going to switch to prenatal yoga this week, but I may keep doing Jazzercise and need to modify those exercises/stretches on my own.

I am not sure I need pelvic opening for a planned repeat c-section (I’ve already had 2, including a heroic but unsuccessful attempt at a VBAC) but I did say that if I go into labor before that and, like, show up at the hospital at 6cm or something then maybe we’ll see what happens, so I guess it’s good to keep my options open!

4 Likes

I have this question as well. The twists are my favorite part and they feel SOOOOOO good on my sides. I know there is a point in pregnancy where you physically can’t do them anymore. I remember with both previous pregnancies when I came home after giving birth it felt so amazing to do big twists on each side, because I hadn’t done them in months. My back cracked a million times doing it too!

3 Likes

Day 25(eta 26), the move that we kept going back to was a nope. I dropped out halfway through and now is ice. I think the only positive was that I started and my seated position was comfortable.

3 Likes

For the first time in 2022, I am not practicing yoga today. I am almost ok with this decision.

I had migraine most of the day, then a large, late dinner when I was feeling better. Now it is late and I am still very full.

4 Likes

@economista you too!

Basically the difference is what LBF says. Closed is everything crossed and smashed, open is less smushed. So open twists include but aren’t limited to sitting cross legged and twisting either way, standing cross legged or straight legged and twisting, triangle pose.

Yoga has some weird stuff. Like into the nineties there was controversy not just about inversions and menstruation, but about partial inversions and menstruation (like downward facing dog). I come from one of the most traditional and oldest teaching lineages in north America, and luckily by the time I did my initial training they’d figured out that those dumb answers are because men, often with little experience with women, were being asked questions that they knew nothing about - and the women asking the questions weren’t far removed from fears of the uterus falling out during a jog.

And the pregnancy stuff is similar. Especially if you’ve been pregnant before and aren’t ar a higher risk of a loss, you will know when to stop doing closed twists. The full pressure on your stomach I don’t let pregnant yoga students do at all, but in massage therapy I treat facedown until week sixteen if they are comfy, and newer evidence suggests that is still being conservative (some doctors are also dialing back on sleep position suggestions). However, the EXTRA pressure in cobra - probably fine if you’re used to it. Bow or locust? It’s not a functional movement in the sense of recreating something you’d do outside of yoga, and they are not something I want people playing with.

Hope this helps! As always talking about what I do and how I teach, but I’m not teaching you and you need to use your bodies and brains! I’m farther ahead and feeling big, so my main two practices right now are pregnancy and postpartum TV insomnia pregnancy yoga, and a yoga with Adrienne HNS video with no contraindications. Plus every so often doing my full sivananada modified practice

6 Likes

Lies. I was not ok. But I remembered I’d not done the meditation video from Feb 5, so I did that while lying down.

I’m still feeling overly full, but at least I can check the box on my calendar.

6 Likes

Elle I am not pregnant and I am not planning to be that anytime soon but I just wanted to let you know I really admire your knowledge and you sharing it and I try to soak it all in just in case I ever need it in my life

8 Likes

This is really helpful, thanks!

I was thinking about trying the Sarabeth yoga that you mentioned upthread but I was tired this morning and sore because I did Jazzercise yesterday and I haven’t been doing that since my first Incident. So instead I did the 10 minute Yoga for Self Love from Adriene’s February calendar.

Out of curiosity, what is HNS? Google was not helpful.

Bedtime prenatal is not going to be useful for me because my big kids only go to bed like an hour before I do :sweat_smile:. Barely time for a bath.

1 Like

Finished day 28 today, almost there!

1 Like

Today I did YWA heart and hip opener from her prenatal-friendly playlist. It was entirely done sitting/lying and didn’t seem hard at all. This afternoon/evening my hips have gotten more and more sore. I can barely move! I might have pushed myself a little too much with some of the deep stretches

6 Likes

Oooh, I didn’t know she had this. I’ll have to check it out! I did a Sarah Beth prenatal yoga this morning. She said it was level 1 (not in the description, you have to watch the video to find out)- I definitely felt some burn and some stretch but I’m hoping one of the other free ones is a Level 2 or something. Very different vibe from Adriene, much quieter and calmer.

1 Like

This is kind of funny. Compared to the yoga classes on the YogaDownload app, Adriene’s are so quiet and calm! I actually had the thought yesterday that I might just stick with her now, because her vibe is so much calmer than even the prenatal classes on the app!

2 Likes

That’s so interesting! I haven’t done any other kinds of yoga, so I didn’t realize some of them were ALL PEP ALL THE TIME. Sarah Beth doesn’t fill all the silence with talkin and cuing. Sometimes it’s just… quiet. And she does a voiceover rather than talk while doing the yoga, which also gives it a really different feeling, puts you kind of at a remove.

2 Likes

Oh, I think I would like that! I’ll check it out.

1 Like

I started day 27, but my stomach already wasn’t thrilled with me today. Not sure if I’ll give it another shot, or go to the next day and at least have tried the 29 set days.

I struggle with her telling me things as or after she is doing them since I can’t watch, and I feel like I’m behind - like go to down dog and then lift leg and bring it forward, I’m not set up to do the knee to elbow bits because I assumed we were going into a lunge like prior days and that takes me into a different spot.

2 Likes