Worth it... Objects of Acquisition

Have you found a good mail in source for exchanging your cylinders? That’s my current conundrum since we’re doing curbside for groceries.

2 Likes

We use soda sense. My parents lament that I apparently am paying 2x as much as they do for exchanging at Staples but the last several times we’ve gone there they have been completely out, or refused to take our empties, and not given us the exchange discount so I said screw it when the pandemic happened. It’s so easy and convenient

4 Likes

Does fred meyer not do it curbside? I have a sodastream but I’ve stopped using it since I haven’t been doing mocktails much in the past several years.

2 Likes

We were running low, couldn’t find anywhere, and eventually ordered directly from SodaStream. But I noticed (this was a few weeks ago) that they have them available early (7 or 8am CA time) and then run out. Send you a box to ship back, shipping included…

3 Likes

Not for soda stream I don’t think? Maybe I’ll call and ask. That’s who we’re shopping with mainly. I guess you can leave coupons in the trunk, maybe you can the cylinders?

2 Likes

Yeah last 3 times I’ve checked they’re out, I’ve had no luck there.

1 Like

Bummer :frowning:

So after 23 months I think I’m finally done nursing and I decided that I need an actual bra now. Bought a Wing Woman Contour wire free bra from Knix and OMG SO GOOD.

Doesn’t give me the “holy shit my boobs are at my collarbone” feeling other bras I’ve tried have, is super comfortable and I can’t see lines under my clothes. Winning, winning everywhere.

PS I have a $15 code if anyone wants it just message me

8 Likes

Last year I got a Dymo label printer ($$) + Shippo account (free). Along with my kitchen scale, this means I can weigh & label packages at home for USPS, FedEx, or UPS. Plus, the stickers it prints out are very very satisfying.

I don’t have a business that would make this a no-brainer purchase, but I use it at least once a week to sell something on eBay, mail a package to a friend, or print a return label. During covid it is especially nice to limit my indoor post office time to ~30 seconds, just to leave a prepaid package on the counter.

4 Likes

Tell me more about this printer. I may or may not be about to reach a tipping point in my business where this would be worth it and my multifunction printer is hot garbage that has to be hard reset in order to work all the time

1 Like

I wanted a printer that could handle 4x6 labels, not just smaller postage. I did a medium amount of research and wound up with a Dymo LabelWriter 4XL. List price is ~$300 but I got a used one for $145 on eBay. It didn’t take too long to set up, and it has run flawlessly via a USB connection for the past couple years.

I’ve sold about $200 worth of personal stuff this summer alone. I wouldn’t argue that it has paid for itself directly — but it’s mentally easier to list unused items or be prepared to return things that don’t fit from online orders knowing that shipping is so streamlined. As a business owner I think you’d get even more benefit.

6 Likes

Yes, having to fight with my printer and then give up and wait to physically go to USPS suuuuucks when I want to get an order out the door. Gonna look into this more

3 Likes

I bought another Kobo e-reader when I lost mine. I just found it again this week, so now we have 2, and I don’t mind at all because I have been able to read so many more books from my library, and far more than I’d be willing to buy. I’m showing Ponder how to set up his phone to borrow and hold books and we’ll set up one Kobo for each of our cards.

5 Likes

Fleece lined hoodies from Kohls.
Now I fit in with all my coworkers (I was the only person who didn’t wear a hoodie near daily) and I am very comfy in my freezing basement work station.

10 Likes

my boss gave me a $25 gift card for a local homegoods shop over the holidays and I replaced my rubber spatula that I ripped when forcing it into a jar that was too small, plus I got a special thin jar scraping spatula, plus a wide mouthed funnel.

This week I used the thin spatula to clean out my mango chutney jar, and the funnel making pickled red onions.

Like an adult. I highly recommend to anyone who deals with food.

13 Likes

I seriously need to follow your example. I’ve got all kinds of fancy gadgetry acquired over the years but the same spatulas and spoons from college

7 Likes

I have very little fancy gadgetry because I’m not much of a cook. But probably 15-20 years ago I got a bunch of very fancy LeCreuset silicone spatulas. Not because I cook, but because they were orange. :orange_heart: They have changed the shapes now, so I would want to see them in person before buying again. They have been used a lot and still look new.

4 Likes

Yes! Silicone spatulas let you actually scrape things out! And funnels mean your liquids amd powders actually land in the jar/bottle you are filling!

…Husband had to get these for us because I was like “ohh, it’s fiiinne” also a bench scraper/dough cutter. Little, inexpensive kitchen things that make all the difference!

5 Likes

I think what was happening is that there were so many little inexpensive things, that when I was in an actual store, I was unable to prioritize, and nothing was addressing an urgent need, so I would just leave and not buy anything. It can be hard to know which ones are the ones that make all the difference and which ones are just promises that get used once or twice and then move to the back of the cupboard (like the icing sugar shaker I bought all those years ago at a Pampered Chef party).

Whereas for this, I knew I wanted to replace the big spatula I had ripped, but then I still had $15 to use. So it gave a boundary. And the funnel was top of mind because I had just done the annoying thing of putting nuts into mason jars. And the spatula had ripped because I didn’t have a smaller one, so that was proof that I did need something specialized.

7 Likes

I splurged and bought enough of my favourite pen to last for probably several years…

11 Likes