Worth it... Objects of Acquisition

Really pleased to see this, given I need new tights asap!

Willing to split shipping if youā€™re putting an order in. I need some sheers.

2 Likes

Cool, letā€™s do it!

Woohoo! Iā€™m weirdly evangelical about these tights so Iā€™m glad to have another convert! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

The hats that I bought on @HaHā€™s recommendation. We have been far more sunsafe this year than any previous, and my large headed husband has actually been wearing his every time we go out!

5 Likes

Which hats are these? They sound great!

Ok well this was a while agoā€¦
https://www.topshow.com.au/
Theyā€™re Australian made, you might be able to find similar where you are?

I came in here to say weā€™ve bought a kiwico subscription to get activities to do with Duckling every month and itā€™s really good. Not much stuff but really engaging, someone else has gotten it set up for me, and he really enjoys it. I didnā€™t realise they were a US group and want to look for a local option. Ideally we would find activities online and gather the parts ourselves from stuff around the house, but we are expecting to need this kind of support for the next 12 months and are very glad to have found a reasonable option.

4 Likes

Ainā€™t no one got time for that! We just feeding and sometimes clothing ourselves.

4 Likes

Have you found the Busy Toddler Instagram? They seem great, but yeah, DIYing is hard mode.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been following them for ages, theyā€™re really good pre pandemic/ when weā€™re not dealing with me being pregnant. This is also something special for Duckling while heā€™s dealing with loss of Mum time, as I am likely to be unable to parent for at least 3 months.

Highly recommend the idea where you put toddler/baby + scoops + rice/lentils into a big box! That one is still good.

2 Likes

[originally posted in the wrong thread]

I finally got the heating pad my RMT recommended a year ago.

People

People

I am sitting on the couch with a heating pad on my knee and why did nobody shake me 8 years ago and tell me to just spend the $100?

12 Likes

My heels have arrived. They were mislabeled in the listing - said they were 8.5 fits 9, but theyā€™re actually 9s. And they fit me just fine. (my originals are 8.5, but it is good to know that 9s also work)

Second experience sending money to random internet strangers who posted a picture online with no way for me to check reputation or history, but both times it has worked out ok.

Now to stalk the buy/sell sites for someone to post the other two colourways.

6 Likes

I was super into these tights but they got a run within 3 weeks of me owning them :frowning: I am so sad about it.

3 Likes

I keep using my Sodastream and being like ā€œso worth itā€¦should share on threadā€ and then forgetting. Caveat: itā€™s great if you drink fizzy water. If you do not drink fizzy water there is no point. But we have had it for a year and used approx 1 gazillion fewer aluminum cans in that time.

5 Likes

Oh! This thread is neat. I donā€™t drink fizzy water, but I have an affinity for Root Beet and Ginger Ale, and basically nothing else fizzy. Do you think itā€™d be worth finding a used unit for that?

3 Likes

You can get syrups for it and make sodas! I think itā€™s still lower waste (one small bottle of syrup=multiple 2L/cases of soda), but Iā€™m not sure how the flavor and price hold up. Tonic was ok.

4 Likes

As far as Iā€™ve seen for big-name sodas, buying the syrup is no more cost efficient than buying the soda itself, and often more expensive. Iā€™m sure you could get it cheaper if you were buying restaurant-quantities (I remember costs per glass on soda to a restaurant were measured in maybe <10 cents) but most of us donā€™t want to commit to that much soda syrup!

Itā€™s nice for making mocktails too.

3 Likes

Oh no! Mine have a tendency to get threads pulled out a long way so they bunch up (which I can usually fix by just pulling around a bit), but Iā€™ve not had issues with runs

1 Like

Yeahā€¦I am not certain being in their ecosystem youā€™d do much better than breaking even. I do see a waste argument (although complicated by carbon emissions of shipping gas cylinders vs shipping water). In our case, convenience was a huge factor: weā€™re on the second floor and there are two doors and 50? feet walk to our car and dumpstersā€¦carrying cans of LaCroix was getting very old, and I felt bad looking at our recycle bin. The gas canisters are refilled, as I understand.

3 Likes

Another bonus, when I do want a sweet fizzy drink, we get fruit syrup from the international store and I can make blackcurrant soda and pretend Iā€™m a classy European or Australian. :yum:

4 Likes