Who do you want on the dem ticket as VP?

The only thing I see when I google him and Palestine is some train disaster in Ohio.

2 Likes

I really like him, but I run into the electability issue. But maybe we’re just going all in on the get with the times, black woman married to a Jewish man, and gay man ticket.

The things I hear my inlaws and other conservatives saying about Harris and Buttiegieg are pretty awful, but could the calculus be that enough nonvoters would be excited about the ticket that it would negate not getting the elusive undecided “moderate” conservative?

The idea of both a First and Second Husband in the white house is pretty great.

11 Likes

Since he’s been a domestic policy guy, I wonder how you’d assess it. For a presidential campaign I’d look at their campaign team - would a VP candidate, if chosen, have his own team, or be part of Kamala’s? I am not deep into federal campaign nuances like you are so you might have a better sense.

2 Likes

I have some reservations about that, too, but I imagine the pool of bigots who would not vote for a gay man yet would for a black woman is pretty small.

7 Likes

That train disaster was about 15 miles from our old house and Biden made a big mistake not going to visit promptly. Because you know who hustled right over to E. Palestine? JD Vance.

4 Likes

And since 1972, my first choice has never once been on the ballot. So I stand by my assertion that we are not choosing a fantasy team - we’ve got to pick the best option that the most people can live with.

5 Likes

My fun fact is the only reason E Palestine was pronounced right on NPR, was because someone on the overnight desk at NPR happened to be from northeastern Ohio and knew it

5 Likes

Wait… How is it pronounced?

1 Like

Pal-Ee-steen (rhymes with seen)

Instead of pal-ah-stein like the country

2 Likes

Although actually closer to the actual Arabic pronounciation!

2 Likes

Anyway I am all in for Walz mostly because I find him generally good and will never not enjoy MN getting more national attention. And because Peggy Flanagan will do just fine taking over as governor. That said, he is totally getting a lot of credit for recent wins that were really thanks to a more progressive legislature.

7 Likes

I just read that Harris will begin campaigning with her running mate next Tuesday.

2 Likes

I looked up statements from his 2020 presidential run, and he seems strongly I :heart: israel.

Last week he condemned the people protesting Netanyahu. Haven’t seen him condemn Netanyahu.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/4792340-buttigieg-denounces-defacing-property-protests/

Last May, Buttigieg took a trip to Israel with other mayors that was organized by the American Jewish Committee, a global Jewish advocacy organization. Shortly after his return, Buttigieg was interviewed for the organization’s podcast. That was tough timing, as just four days earlier Israeli forces had killed dozens of Palestinians protesting the opening of the US embassy in Jerusalem.

Still, Buttigieg had nothing but high praise for Israel, suggesting its way of handling security threats could be a good model for the US.

“Seeing the way that a country can be on the one hand very intentional, very serious, and very effective when it comes to security and on the other hand not allowing concerns about security to dominate your consciousness,” he said, “I think that’s a very important lesson that hopefully Americans can look to when we think about how to navigate a world that unfortunately has become smaller and more dangerous for all of us.”

Do people want the IOF as a model for the US?

5 Likes

High level overview but it seems like Walz is marginally less terrible than the other likely picks. He at least isn’t comparing protesters of a genocide to the KKK.

But overall he’s still giving “let’s keep giving the genociders more money and weapons to “defend themselves” while also making public statements about how sad all the civilian casualties are.”

5 Likes
1 Like

:eyes:

12 Likes

That is such a Minnesotan schedule of events…

9 Likes

i think it is a joke but the vibe is :100:

3 Likes

8 Likes

So it sounds like the VP pick is down to Walz and Shapiro. As a Minnesotan I’m way more invested in this than I thought I would be.

So who’s got predictions?

5 Likes