Who do you want on the dem ticket as VP?

Going to be REALLY interesting to see how this plays out.

From a policy perspective, I’d like to see Pete on the ticket. He is smart.

There is a weird part of me that almost hopes that they do something wild and choose somebody from the other side of the aisle – Kinzinger, for example. I’m sure I disagree with him on a lot of policy issues, but at least he had the nerve to stand up to the GOP and Trump. Might go far with enough never trumpers to swing a few states.

3 Likes

I’d like Whitmer. A lot. I don’t know that two women is ideal from an electability POV, but she’s from Michigan which is important.

Who is good from Arizona? Is there a not crazy Kennedy rattling around?

1 Like

I like Whitmer a lot, she’s been very good for my state and I hope to see her run eventually. I would vote for them, but I don’t think a ticket with two women will beat Trump.

2 Likes

Mark Kelly?

The Rock. :microphone::palm_down_hand:

2 Likes

I’d be happy with Pete. If we have to get a midwestern white dude at least we’d have one who took his full paternity leave.

On a more serious note, everyone else I saw shortlisted would leave open an important elected position in a swing state. Except for Gavin, who seems like a jerk.

2 Likes

I made a joke last month about Taylor Swift being the Dem nominee. I still think it would be fascinating – her GOTV game would be amazing and she’s a wildly successful businesswoman. I’m not old enough to have remembered personally, but isn’t that how Ronald Reagan went from movies to politics?

Boring picks would be Whitmer to guarantee Michigan or Shapiro to guarantee PA, etc. but I think they wouldn’t want to risk those positions flipping to R if they tap the sitting governor. Wolf (from PA, term limited out after 8 years) or another well-liked former gov could be good. I don’t mind Pete but I actually don’t think he’d add any support or turnout.

I guess I’m seeing VP as an election boosting role first and foremost.

3 Likes

She’s only old enough this year :joy:

Omg please no though. She’s TOO much of a politician. It would be all PR, almost no policy.

5 Likes

So she could steal the show as veep and Harris could do the work!

Husband’s and I have been talking about Andy Beshear as a potential VP.

Personally I think he’d be a great president, but he wouldn’t win this time.

2 Likes

A friend who’s from PA was thinking Shapiro would be a good choice.

He also doesn’t gain us anything because they’d both be from CA.

I was thinking about Pritzker (IL), he has more money than god and in my opinion has done a decent job. But that leaves IL open to a Republican governor which they’d had before, and IL is one of the handful of states that actually protects trans folks so that’s worrisome. Also, he is Jewish and IDK if that would be a problem for people? It shouldn’t, but…

1 Like

I read that if both people are from the same state they forfeit the electoral votes which in this case is 54.

1 Like

Oh, seriously? I did not know that!

1 Like

Apparently it’s a thing. Never heard of it!

4 Likes

Apparently when Bush and Cheney ran, Cheney sold his house in Texas and got a Wyoming drivers license because he had a vacation home there. This was so he would be from Wyoming and they would not forfeit the votes from Texas.

2 Likes

TBH JB Pritzker has been a good governor for IL. He’s super rich obvi, but he’s thrown his money and power behind some fairly progressive ideas

3 Likes

It probably needs to be someone who will appeal to the Bernie Bros, because they are the ones moaning about Harris being a moderate.

1 Like

. Are we thinking about the same? Shapiro??? Cuz the one I’m thinking of is banana pancakes

it’s a diff one but I don’t know any more than that

1 Like

Josh Shapiro is the governor of PA

1 Like