3 Likes

Right?!

4 Likes

:sob:.
:

3 Likes

6 Likes

14 Likes

I may have asked something similar before, but even if so, sometimes learning and growth work in spirals.

How do you overcome a mental block to create intentional, sustainable change in your life? Particularly when it’s more about something you need to do, but what you WANT is at least a week in a secluded cabin away from EVERYONE to nap, read and watch movies until you regain a semblance of humanity again.

11 Likes

That sounds a bit like burn out. Is there a way you can carve out any time for yourself to fill up your own cup? Not a week away but regular recurring “me time”? Then longer term it feels more doable to take on “should” tasks on a regular basis.

7 Likes

Hmmm I think meerkat is right, but also I am in a phase where breaks and rest aren’t where they will be. I test different tweaks and cycle in pieces that worked and cycle out pieces that don’t.

i.e. yoga before bed feels great. But 8/10 nights there is no option to add anything before bed, and when there is, there are a lot of competing pieces. So when I do yoga 1/100 days, I see it as choosing yoga 1/20 days and am happy. So yes, from daily yoga to 4 days a year. And being at peace with that is harder than doing yoga daily when I had time.

The way I eat often makes me feel not good. So I found a few ways that make me feel good. Most of those either don’t give me enough feel temporary joy hormones or take too much time or money. So I thank myself equally for choosing a smoothie or veggies and rice or for eating chips and halloween candy.

If it is one big thing… then I figure out what has to move to make it happen. Something else has to leave your plate

8 Likes

So number one would be to figure out a way to do this for at least a day/until your brain starts functioning again. Take a vacation day and go swimming (that’s what I needed to do so I shall recommend it to everyone).

Then try to figure out why your brain thinks you can’t do it and if it’s a real reason. For example, my brain thinks I can’t exercise unless I was going to wash my hair that day anyway. After about 6 years of thinking this, I realized this is silly: I own dry shampoo. For counter example, I haven’t figured out how to go to the gym after work but still have time to make/eat dinner much less do literally anything else that evening because there’s only 4-5 hours and I don’t want to eat too early or too late or before working out and ???

But also doing the easy version of whatever thing is still doing the thing. I don’t know what your thing is, but I had to tell myself that restorative yoga is “real” yoga and after 4 months of going to that I’m ready to start exercise yoga again. Low key things are good for your brain and will help create space for high key things.

9 Likes

Oooh I remembered advice that I hate but also love (from the Fixable podcast which is about work problems). If this is Important, then you need to prioritize it. Prioritizing means saying no to a lot of things. For me that means: being sane/not frazzled with an agenda and also space for empathy in an important meeting means that I have to limit the other work I do that week. It doesn’t matter if I “have time” to do everything, I don’t have emotional energy to do everything. And to have enough energy for the Important thing, I need to push back other things, even urgent things, even if I don’t want to.

9 Likes

The vibe of this reminds me of “tranquility by Tuesday”.

4 Likes

I have had that on my holds list for like 4 months but not read it yet!

3 Likes

Sometimes you work on yourself, and some days are just like this:

Instagram: I am done…

9 Likes

I saw that earlier today, and, yep.

13 Likes

Sorry for the random kindle page, but I thought “Cruel Optimism” was a really useful term.

(From “Stolen Focus”)

10 Likes

I think anyone who reads productivity, time management, etc books would enjoy/benefit from reading the intro to “four thousand weeks: time management for mortals”. I can’t speak to the rest of it, I’m only just past the intro, but it was a good and fresh take on things for me.

11 Likes

i get the author’s newsletter and it’s really great!

2 Likes