Unf*ck Your Brain: memes and more

I’ve heard this more spun as happiness = reality - expectations.

But like alsoooo this seems like a crappy way to say hey you shouldn’t expect and don’t deserve balance.

4 Likes

The context was more that our expectations don’t exist in a vacuum, we get them from social media, TV shows, ads, articles, EAP webinars :wink:, etc. And that internalizing these external expectations, rather than starting from your needs and priorities, can set you up for disappointment.

ETA that said I wasn’t impressed with the webinar. Lots of cliches and platitudes.

ETA2 This facilitator is clearly very Type A/planner/Upholder. Schedule these things and then do them what can go wrong? :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

Oookay. Just I can see it being posed in a particular way that could be icky! But I like don’t start from external expectations, but from personal needs.

4 Likes

A Very Good Thread

https://twitter.com/DaystarEld/status/1673782453469605888?s=20

In grad school, by design or through bad leadership, I and many students end up feeling Responsible for a high quality novel research result, while also lacking the tools (plan, perspective, knowledge, skills, software, etc) to actually execute.

When the system works WELL the advisor provides the overall plan and guidance and oversight, letting the student experience the process and the pitfalls without being primarily responsible. However, an overworked advisor struggling for tenure in a publish or perish environment has perverse incentives or simply doesn’t have their own resources to prioritize the student’s experience.

:frowning:

If you burned out in grad school, it’s not your fault! Being smart and motivated does not mean you don’t need training or supervision when starting a career!!

15 Likes

:flushed::exploding_head:

OK i am much more ok with failing and quitting my PhD now.

10 Likes

That is an epic thread! Both times I burned out at work it was because I had waaaay more responsibility than authority. It is soul sucking in the worst way

5 Likes

Oh man, going to check on my research student again.

4 Likes

:sob: its making me log in. I don’t want to log in. I just want to read.

1 Like

Yeah it just started doing that. :duck: Elon!

1 Like

I’ve unearthed my account (unused since grad school) for the public good.

12 Likes

14 Likes

14 Likes

Needed this today!!

But also there’s so much nuance in it when you’re just living in a large community/family/what have you. Some people pleasing has to happen and the trick is probably some in between :slight_smile:

7 Likes

19 Likes

22 Likes

That was a GREAT teacher. So many would have killed her creativuty.

2 Likes

For the folks in the audience with sensory stuff :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Also me last week.

12 Likes

18 Likes

Every time I let technology just fuck off I feel SO much better.

8 Likes

This was my biggest hesitation in getting a smart watch and it led to me being more aggressive with unsubscribing and filtering my emails.

3 Likes