Today I Learned

I hate this a lot.

Likewise! If the government makes a mistake, they should be able to catch it, right? Making mistakes is human, that’s understandable, but the thing with the guy who has CP? I have a friend who also has CP… he’s not collecting SS, but how do you “miss” something like this for so long?

4 Likes

14 Likes

That is absolutely terrible. We had it happen on a much smaller level a few years ago once D2 was born. Since DH receives SSDI our girls receive it as well until they turn 18. However, the amount we get “for children” is the same amount regardless of the number of children we have - each child’s portion is just smaller as you add children. D2 was born during covid and it took them over a year to process the paperwork that we had an additional child. So then they sent us a letter saying that for the past year D1 had received D2’s portion, they gave us a lump-sum amount that was the amount D2 had “missed” and said we owed the exact same amount back to them because it was overpayment that D1 received :joy: :woman_facepalming: :woman_shrugging: Their solution was to send us $0 for D1 for the next year until her “debt” was fully paid back.

It’s all so, so crazy!

15 Likes

11 Likes

Life is like a box of chocolates.

1 Like

I love this … Thanks!

1 Like

11 Likes

16 Likes

21 Likes

English is such a clusterfuck, it’s delightful

5 Likes

I thought this was interesting.

2 Likes

Penguins take thousands of micro-naps a day, and other cool animal sleep tidbits (gift link): https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/30/science/penguin-naps-sleep.html?unlocked_article_code=1.EU0.P0lb.f5v4hxrvA4eV&hpgrp=c-abar&smid=url-share

4 Likes

I was very proud recently to be able to answer when someone asked how dolphins sleep without drowning. It unfortunately ruined the metaphor they were attempting to use, but I was thrilled to have answers :joy: it’s not often knowing stuff like that comes in handy.

14 Likes

12 Likes

I was curious so I looked this up!

All true! Unfortunately the woman whose painting it was died shortly after the sale.

I have… ahem. QUESTIONS shall we say…?? about “i don’t know where this art came from i’ve always had it” masterpieces that appear in Europe but :person_shrugging: She died at 90 presumably, after the sale in 2019. So she would have been a child during WWII and gets a pass in my book.

15 Likes

More people will see it in a big museum, but i hope she got huge enjoyment from having good art in her most used home space.

14 Likes

6 Likes

I saw this on some TV show years ago and I was like “Whoa!”. But no one ever does it as far as I know :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I tried it once but was less than impressed with the resultant “plate”. Besides, I find that it’s much easier to eat from the box using chopsticks than it is from a plate.

1 Like