Amphibians – 368 Million Years Old
Reptiles – 315 Million Years Old
The Atlantic Ocean – 150 Million Years Old
Flowering Plants – 130 Million Years Old
The Andes Mountain Range – 30 Million Years Old

14 Likes

I am simply! Overcome!

4 Likes

Right? Like how are the Andes Mountains the lil’ babies on that list? But then thinking about when the continents would have been moving around, of course they are. Still seems weird.

I’m also used to thinking of alligators as being around since forever, then that list has a 50 million year period where we had lil’ froggie bois and no reptiles. What.

7 Likes

Oh yes. I fact checked (I mean, poorly, I am very tired but I try my best) before sharing on the meme thread because I was like. What no? Notably it’s like, sharks in general, not specific species, but if we want UNCHANGED ANIMAL that is older than Polaris, horseshoe crabs qualify.

14 Likes

The book Otherlands by Thomas Halliday (Thomas Halliday | The StoryGraph) might be of interest. I found it really gave me a sense of how much change the world has had over the literal eons.

5 Likes

20 Likes

15 Likes

This was basically a thing in my hometown for a long while. The guy who ran the local dump made an unofficial library there – he put up shelves and if people wanted to get rid of books they could just bring them to him, and then take books for free.

9 Likes

18 Likes

Being this is in Transylvania that did not go where I was expecting from the headline.

7 Likes

10 Likes

11 Likes

9 Likes

14 Likes

7 Likes

What’s the source of the 1886 photo? A quick google search shows that while cameras were invented in 1816, color photography appeared much later, with 1907 or so being the date I saw most often.

1 Like

I’m sure it’s photoshop. But I did find an old color photo of it, it’s not as good of quality though. I’m finding all kinds of fake things today, I need to pay better attention.

ETA better picture

6 Likes

I love that you shared this, it’s all true even though the image is not. It only took 30 years for the color change to happen! TIL.

6 Likes

In the video game that I play allllll the time, Civilization 6, there is a video that plays when you build a world wonder (Taj Mahal, Stonehenge, Golden Gate Bridge- it’s a wild and varied list). I like that when you build the Statue of Liberty, it starts out the more coppery color and then the animation shows it turning green!

8 Likes

Since we’re retirement age, this was something I learned today that scared me mightily!

There’s a followup too.

5 Likes