Today I Learned

I mean…I make choices that are bad for me sometimes lol, I don’t plan on never drinking again! But I probably will cut back a little further. Siiiigh

4 Likes

My wife gets this too, and also passes out hard after 2-3 drinks. Like, not “hey guys I’m going to go take a nap,” but at it’s worst looks like her falling asleep at a dinner table or while standing up at a loud club. Adaptation that’s protecting her from drinking more?!

7 Likes

@Meowmalade it depends on how many copies of the deficient ALDH2 gene you have – if you have one copy working but one copy deficient then you’ll still get some enzymatic activity albeit not the full amount. Further, the toxicity from acetyldehyde dose-dependent so a few sips for taste shouldn’t hurt you.

There are also some pre-biotic drinks that you can take to preemptively help metabolize the acetaldehyde as you drink, so there are some options if you want to partake occasionally!

7 Likes

Oh that’s really good to hear! I think my body is ok with up to half a glass of wine. I’m glad I don’t have to do avoidance or else feel guilty!

2 Likes

Spotless giraffe!

7 Likes

The only one in the world!?! OK, this guy is allowed to start a sentence with “Am I the only one who…?” No one else.

5 Likes

:joy::joy: yup!

Apparently it’s not the first time this has happened - there was another one at a Japanese zoo in the 70s!

1 Like

TIL that the original 4% rule paper (Bengen) and then the followup Trinity Study were both done using data that ended before 1996, so the original 30 year runs didn’t include the very worst years to retire using that approach (66/67/68/69).

7 Likes

They also used a 50/50 and 60/40 stock/bond mix, so it is informative to use the calculator you linked (or others) with an allocation that is closer to whatever your allocation is.

5 Likes

definitely. also they ignored the impact of fees, which this calculator lets you easily adjust to reflect your own situation.

I wasn’t familiar with this calculator before, but I really like how easily it models CPP/OAS (similar to but also different from social security in the US), which I recently realized makes a huge difference in our withdrawal rates - I had never modelled it before, considering it more of a hedge. But in reality it is projected to cover 90% of our required living (food, utilities, property taxes), and I could tighten our food budget if required.

3 Likes

11 Likes

16 Likes

Good news for TB treatment!

8 Likes

I happened to catch this during the live premiere! I cried.

1 Like

More free covid tests available from the US government starting Sept 25! COVID.gov - Free at-home COVID-19 tests

10 Likes

15 Likes

Absolutely obsessed with this idea.

11 Likes

I tried to fact check this and… it appears to be true??

20 Likes

My brain hurts.

2 Likes

What in the what!!!

2 Likes