Today I Learned

On Friday we went to see our estate lawyer to sign for our updated distributions and it turns out I had it set up wrong for the Roth accounts. For all accounts our first beneficiary is the spouse and the contingent is the trust. HOWEVER, for the Roth accounts the first beneficiary is the spouse but it’s tax advantaged to put the contingent beneficiary as a person. So we put my sister. Only relevant if you have set up a trust, but who would have guessed?!

5 Likes

12 Likes

Today I learned that my work laptop has a charging port on both sides, not just the one I have been using for 2 years.

14 Likes

I’m deep down a rabbit hole about how to evaluate the quality of life in a neighborhood and came across the Walkable Oriented Development map which shades properties that have 6 points of interest within a 10 minute walk of them. Points of interest being anything grocery stores, libraries, and medical clinics to florists, beauty salons, and pet places. And you can filter it to just show you particular types of places as dots on the map. It’s really cool.

11 Likes

Haha this is very vindicating for me. I may be in the suburbs but I am just barely past the shaded area. (And based on my walking speed, it should be wider for me). We definitely picked the spot with walkability in mind!

6 Likes

Interesting! We are also half a block outside the shaded zone. But I wonder where it’s getting the data because I’m 95% sure my parents house in a tiny tiny town and the very slightly less tiny town I went to high school in would meet the criteria but aren’t showing up.

Edit: oops, the slightly less tiny town I went to high school in is shaded!

4 Likes

This is cool!

I’d love to see:
Sidewalks availability
Climate

There are some shaded areas near where I grew up but no sidewalks and 50 mph roads made it much less desirable to walk. Plus it was 100F+ for multiple months which turns my walking stamina closer to 5 minutes than 10.

8 Likes

That’s interesting, but the fact that they’ve missed most of the mixed use trails (walk/bike) in my area is a little odd since those are what people tend to use to get around. It’s like they saw roads (and maybe sidewalks?) and used those to calculate 10min routes, but not any of the actual pedestrian routes.

4 Likes

This is my shit right here!!

1 Like

This is so cool! It checks out for my burb: I don’t live in a shaded area, but the places near me that are still burb but walkable to more things are shaded. I was just talking to someone who wants to move to my town and asked for locations that are affordable, walkable, and quiet, and I think he can get 1-2/3 but I have been wrong about so many things, so I’ll send him this.

3 Likes

13 Likes

Avril Lavigne wrote Breakaway and gave it to Kelly Clarkson :astonished:

Anyone else listen to Let Go over and over as an impressionable tween? :joy:

6 Likes

14 Likes

18 Likes

13 Likes

I love Billy Joel and he gives a great concert. So many songs.

4 Likes

I think this is why (in the olden days) bands told us to rush the stage. But I think now they don’t because we always got injured. I love this safe way of doing it

4 Likes

Yikes, if you get Asian flush (as I do) it means that alcohol is literally poison :flushed:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2023/08/15/asian-glow-alcohol-gene-mutation-cancer-risk/

6 Likes

I also get asian flush and was sooo bummed when I saw this article!

3 Likes

I’m glad I’m not a big drinker anyway but it’s such a bummer to have to make a choice between drinking a little bit and hoping it’s ok and choosing never to consume alcohol again (@flan I found another bottle of Portuguese cherry liqueur locally and was so looking forward to it) :sob:

5 Likes