Today I Learned

15 Likes

Barbe à papa, father’s beard, or cotton candy in French!

4 Likes

16 Likes

I was today years old when I learned that Penny Marshall the director was also the actress who played Laverne in Laverne & Shirley, that her brother directed The Odd Couple, and she was married to Rob Reiner. shadowy one was surprised this was new info.

7 Likes

You are so young!

1 Like

there is apparently an annual golden gathering and they do a massive group photo

nytimes gift link

8 Likes

I absolutely love that and cannot show that to Mr. Meer who is desperate to get a golden retriever. I especially love this bit about the fifteen seconds it took to get a picture of just all the dogs:

“Fifteen seconds in golden retriever time is approximately eternity, and 488 golden retrievers evidently believed they had been abandoned forever. And panicked.”

9 Likes

hehehe

Yes I loved that part. It must have been outrageous chaos.

2 Likes
14 Likes

I know it was last week’s news, but y’all are killing me with the cursive talk. Behold, my to do list:

(Although sometimes I mix and match - I cheat with r, and I don’t ever do m or n the “correct” way.)
I bring out my very best cursive penmanship for postcards.
And no, I haven’t done my June 1 financial summary yet. :upside_down_face:

14 Likes

13 Likes

pareidolia (Most often associated with inanimate objects, but that’s the word I thought of)

2 Likes

If my handwriting was as good as yours I’d definitely write in cursive more!!

1 Like

:joy: and that’s just my “to do list” penmanship!

To be fair, my mother was a grade school teacher. She has perfect denealian (is that how you spell it?) handwriting from 30 years of teaching it.

My father, though not a doctor, has chicken scratch handwriting and a signature that looks like modern art.

They are exactly the same age. :joy:

12 Likes

I remember finding it oddly suspicious as a second grader that Santa Claus used d’nealean on the gift tags (also not sure of the spelling lol) just like my Mom did…

I think my mom learned it in order to try to help me because I had (still do) such bad handwriting.

6 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: I love this!

4 Likes

Meanwhile I believed in the tooth fairy for a long, long time because my parents used their fancy cursive only for tooth fairy notes!

6 Likes

Last week I was looking at a signature one of the folks along the Oregon trail etched into the local bluff - the cursive handwriting was so elegant and beautiful! Kudos to Wm. Watters from Michigan who passed by Scottsbluff NE in May 1852.

7 Likes

Yes, this is the right spelling. Signed, a former third-grade teacher. When I taught and we still taught cursive, it was in 3rd. But when I was a student, we learned it in 2nd. My husband learned it as a first grader because he was advanced. He still has beautiful penmanship. I love cursive–writing in it, reading it. My own children can’t really do it. They can type quickly on a screen with two thumbs, though!

11 Likes

17 Likes