Today I Learned

My brain was on the wrong track and for a long minute I thought perms were some sort of spring flower I didn’t know.

13 Likes

I have a hair crimper that almost looks like I got a perm, but without the insane amount of hair damage or weirdly straight roots with grow out.

2 Likes

As a kid who was impossible to keep inside and now as an adult who’s impossible to keep inside this is fascinating to me as well. I have 20/20 recently tested but never considered why, as every person in my family has glasses but me and I’m the most outdoor-prone of the four of us & always have been.

This is so interesting! Thx for sharing

9 Likes

16 Likes

15 Likes

I thought this was so great and wanted to share- glad it went viral! The TikTok is embedded in the article- super entertaining/funny but also very pointed.
I think a few people here might relate :slight_smile:

11 Likes

super relatable, though i went to school in the 90s when there was a lot more funding available for poor kids than there seems to be now.

but yeah hearing my roommate cry on the phone to her parents about how her stereo was too old and it wasn’t fair she couldn’t get a new one while i was working multiple jobs on top of my class workload was pretty rich (she got the new stereo, which cost $500, my whole spending money budget for the semester).

how many guys said it wasn’t fair that their parents had to pay my tuition? i lost count.

and i went into my first credit card debt going out for a fancy night out for my friend’s birthday :grimacing: financial wisdom didnt show up for me till around age 30, and came and went for a while even after that

the most relatable part was when she talked about people having a hard time “adulting” and wishing they could be kids again. i started counting the days until i could “adult” when i was 12, crossing them off the calendar when i went to bed every night. being able to be responsible to and for myself seemed like a beautiful dream.

less relatable was wanting to marry a rich man and have kids. nope nope nope, i wanted to marry a kind man who got my jokes and who would never want me to procreate :laughing: i got my wish and hope she gets hers!

15 Likes

I thought you might like it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How Henson Puppeteers Bring Muppets to Life

9 Likes

Fun! Husband I were talking about Fraggle Rock just yesterday. I loved that show!

5 Likes

I’ve never seen Fraggle Rock and now I think it’s about a bunch of Fraggles living in a big rock, instead of a bunch of Fraggles rockin’ out?? :joy:

4 Likes

Last night I learned that you’re supposed to descale your kettles every few months. I’ve done it… never??

I realized this when I used our new kettle in the basement (identical model to old one) and was really surprised at how fast the water heated up. Now the old one seems a little faster, too!

Also relevant to @Oro asking about kettle longevity the other day; apparently regular descaling will extend the life of your electric kettle.

12 Likes

I was thinking about getting a steamer because I got these new buttondown shirts and don’t have an iron, and a review mentioned using distilled water and I was like, I really don’t want to deal with that level of complexity but apparently our water is pretty hard.

6 Likes

We live in very hard water land so it. Is very obvious when it needs doing hahahaha. The whole inside becomes lined with white scale like a layer of nail polish.

6 Likes

Portland has glorious water. Not too too soft but pretty dang soft compared to most places.

5 Likes

/o\ i use distilled for my fancy iron. It’s worth it to just get a couple of gallons and keep them around just for that. :slight_smile: You don’t go thru it very fast.

4 Likes

Haha, well, it’s both I guess. :smiley:

lol wut

5 Likes

I think you’re supposed to do it before it reaches that point :joy: According to the Internet, if you live in a place with very hard water you should do it monthly!

My electric kettle was a bit yellowish inside but after the descaling it’s a lovely silver again and I’ve now run it several times and it definitely heats faster now!

5 Likes

… how do you descale a kettle?

2 Likes