Today I Learned

Deep South is team crawdads too.

3 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever had one, by either name. Do they taste like shrimp? Crab?

No, they’re river shellfish so they don’t taste like saltwater fish. I mostly don’t eat fish and hate most shellfish and I liked not loved them. But my friend’s uncle had made us a crawfish boil and the sausage was so hot I had to eat mostly crawfish (I’m a spice wimp).

3 Likes

They mostly taste like the delicious spice mix they’re boiled in, haha.

5 Likes

If you pan fry them in a little bit of butter, they mostly taste like butter. I think there’s a trend here.

5 Likes

The internet explains the imperial measurement system (not sure why it says metric system below)

Tumblr User Passionately Explains Metric System - FAIL Blog - Funny Fails (cheezburger.com)

6 Likes

That nicely explains why I cook in imperial.

Also yesterday my niece from a family who believes in science and is ten…learned about evolution. No one has any idea how we’ve all failed to come across this before. Possibly because when they had a museum membership she liked the kids areas and free sandwiches and pouted upstairs? What does she read? What does school do?

9 Likes

There’s a lot of science to cover?

4 Likes

Well, yes. But they made a chicken and egg joke in the car and she said they were both put here, just like people were just put here. She is multi generation evolution believing and very smart. We’re just floored that NO ONE in her life has mentioned anything that led to this conversation earlier than age ten

10 Likes

Oh, whoops! :grimacing: Yep that is a surprising oversight.

(I mean, we’ve already started discussing with Duckling how current dinosaurs are chickens, but I assume there’s something we’ll miss.)

5 Likes

17 Likes

You’ve heard of the human microbiome? Now meet: the human VIROME. This is so fucking cool. Next frontier of health research, I’m positive.
Learned about it here:

Read more here:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41579-021-00536-5

9 Likes

That was really cool!

1 Like

Really cool thread about biological sex as a spectrum with bimodal distribution:

Source: https://twitter.com/ScienceVet2/status/1035246030500061184

4 Likes

I have always been super fascinated by genetics and I didn’t know about XX AMAB* people. So interesting. Thanks for sharing!

*Can I use this to refer to people who are born with penises who identify as any^ gender, or is there a better way? “People with penises” sounds a little… much… for polite company.

^I caught myself typing “either gender.” Retraining the brain take practice!

3 Likes

Not thinking the clearest right now, what’s the question?

2 Likes

A good way to refer to people who are born with penises, regardless of their later gender identify and/or chromosomal makeup. But without having to say the word “penis” in case one is in the sort of company where one would rather not, you know. My guess was “assigned male at birth” but I would love to hear other suggestions.

2 Likes

There really isn’t a good way, to be honest. Similar to our recent discussion on my journal. Not sure what direction scientific/clinical language will take, though as the Twitter thread pointed out there’s large benefit to breaking down binary language there.

In conversational language, AMAB and AFAB are still being used a lot, but I know my non-binary siblings and close friends HATE that terminology, because it reinforces binary language. They prefer all emphasis being on their pronouns and (if they’re comfortable enough with you to share) their specific identities. Binary trans people are less bothered by it but we definitely prefer to emphasize what we are, not what we were.

Massive caveat, of course, that I’m only familiar with a subsection of the community and I’m also not a queer theorist.

3 Likes

Right, I have seen that AFAB and AMAB are terms for cis people to make us understand, not for trans people. Maybe “phenotype” has promise for the physiological/clinical side… which is really the only area where it matters and even then only for a limited subset of care.

3 Likes

Outside genitals and innie genitals! Iike belly buttons. And then add variations. Idk either.

2 Likes