Today I Learned

how overlapping gameplay mechanics led to the treasure foxes (see a fox in the game, follow it and it will probably lead you to treasure)

3 Likes

Red lentils are hulled brown lentils :exploding_head:

7 Likes

Woah that was a really good video. I enjoyed all of it, thank you! Also I’m not a fan of brown lentils but now I know about brining them I think I’ll try that.

2 Likes

All his stuff is great! I remember the garlic one being quite good.

I want to like lentils but every single time we’ve tried to make them they turn out grainy. Even with extra cooking time to see if they soften up, it seems like someone threw a handful of sand into whatever dish they’re in. I don’t know if that would be because of the little coat or something else.

1 Like

I do know freshness matters a ton?

I like red split because they’re so deliciously creamy, but still tasty if I overcook.

Related, this thread promoted me to make lentils and rice today. Plain for baby, but we’ll try adding that spices & oil mix.

1 Like

There is a super cool brand of dog food I just found out about! Sustainable dog food. Made with bugs, invasive species, stuff like that.

7 Likes

Nice!

Claude eats only seafood-based Fancy Feast and I have been worrying about its sustainability. Sigh.

1 Like

That is extremely cool! I shared it with two eco-conscious people with dogs that I know.

1 Like

The term “locked in emissions”. https://youtu.be/PIulbHyK0bc

It wasn’t even the focus of the video, but one of the conversations SirB and I have around electric cars is that even in areas where they’re not from clean sources NOW, part of the benefit is that as soon as you change the grid, you’ve changed consumer behavior, with no effort on their parts. Anyway, useful term to tuck away in my brain.

6 Likes

Ooh so we call these “reverse cycle air conditioners” and someone mentioned they’re also called heat pumps, but now I can see I thought a heat pump meant a ground great pump, and we use air heat pumps most commonly here. Very much enjoying the learning in this one, thanks!

3 Likes

Dice have dots because they PREDATE our numbering system. :exploding_head:

13 Likes

Woah. That is amazing. Source! I wanna read how they worked that out!

Also this BuzzFeed article is educating me. Apparently in USA, yabbies are called “crawfish”.

2 Likes

It was in a Netflix Explained “Money” episode on gambling, just mentioned in passing.

Wiki says:
“ Various shapes like two-sided or four-sided dice are documented in archaeological findings; for example, from Ancient Egypt and the Middle East. While the cubical six-sided die became the most common type in many parts of the world, other shapes were always known, like 20-sided dice in Ptolemaic and Roman times.”
“ Dice have been used since before recorded history, and it is uncertain where they originated. It is theorized that dice developed from the practice of fortune-telling with the talus of hoofed animals, colloquially known as knucklebones.[2] The Egyptiangame of senet was played with flat two-sided throwsticks which indicated the number of squares a player could move, and thus functioned as a form of dice. Senet was played before 3000 BC and up to the 2nd century AD.[3]

4 Likes

TIL that crawfish are called yabbies in Australia.

4 Likes

So what do you call your petrol stations?

4 Likes

In Oregon we call them crawdads :slight_smile: other parts of the US call them “crayfish”.

3 Likes

I don’t know what name they’re referencing! Fuel station? Uh. Like I’m sure I call it whatever they’re thinking of but I’m drawing a blank.

3 Likes

Gaso? Petro?