Today I Learned

Yay for learning!

3 Likes

It’s also used in biology/ science - like when describing the organization of genetic elements (e.g. a cis-regulatory element is on the same strand as the coding region of the gene).

4 Likes

Also in organic chemistry, it has to do with molecular geometry.

In fact, there are both cis and trans alkenes, molecules with identical atoms but different positions of the functional groups.

7 Likes

Infants use their hands to guide the breast to their mouths! That’s why raviolis hands are always in the way, lol

5 Likes

I was told that all the hitting and kicking they do also helps the milk move, they are basically instinctually massaging the breasts.

2 Likes

Oh yes, for got about that. And DNA is just a chemical too.

I wondered about that!!

13 Likes

Oh wow this sounds like it was the reference used by Tamora Pierce for some of her warriors.

3 Likes

Haha 100% I was thinking about Kel’s books :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Thought this tied in with the discussion we all had on @Meowkins journal the other day.

CW - sex

Choking during sex is surprisingly common among college students — even though most don't find it very pleasurable

Some Quotes from the Article

being choked was more common in women than men

men reported using higher intensity when choking a partner than women did

On average, participants were 19 years old when they first experimented with sexual choking, but a quarter of participants reported first being choked between 10 and 17 years of age.

the researchers noted. “Yet, for a sexual practice that is consequential to health and potentially lethal, we were struck that a minority of participants (albeit, a sizable minority) described being choked as ‘very pleasurable.’ If it is not very pleasurable and yet carries significant risks, it is curious how choking has grown so quickly in prevalence.”

4 Likes

That age range is disturbing.

6 Likes
CW

I can’t stand how the researchers are like “we don’t have any idea why!” Like really? :roll_eyes: We accept that media impacts values and behavior in every other area of life…but not this one? Ok, lol.

5 Likes

I don’t know how or why kids younger than 14 have unfettered access to the internet

Why does any adult think that’s a good idea

5 Likes

My friend’s 19 year old son passed away doing this to himself. It is shocking how prevalent it is.

9 Likes
CW

I’m so sorry to hear that. <3

2 Likes

I missed the original discussion but:

1. people experimenting with something new to see if the like it versus doing a kink regularly probably have different experiences is my guess. Aka you tried x and it didn’t do it for you, so you count in this study, but it’s not a thing you do on the reg. Versus you have a whole set up for this and it’s your thing. But it’s not clear that’s differentiated here.
  2. being choked is one half of this. I would imagine people also enjoy being the choker.
  3. this seems to be only partnered sex
    :man_shrugging:

Thoughts from your neighborhood kink positive asexual.

6 Likes

Imma gonna go ahead and admit i am kink negative on this one, it has too many factors that could go wrong fast, without warning.

4 Likes

Oh yeah to be clear I’m not saying go have unsafe sex. :vulcan_salute: Just that people are gonna people. And i imagine BDSM spaces are more safety oriented than ppl think.

3 Likes
Summary

Yes, but I imagine most of this isnt in safe BDSM spaces. I see a lot more about the unsafe acts than articles on how to do things safely, so I’m not convinced people vaguely curious are actually accessing the safety materials as well. Not in a culture where rape culture is prevalent.

Actually as a person who has done some amount of risk analysis I’m still not convinced even in BDSM spaces. But I am happy to agree to disagree coz people have different risk tolerances and I also dont fly small aircraft or parachute and others like doing that :woman_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes