Today I Learned

19 Likes

14 Likes

13 Likes

21 Likes

The documentary “Twinsters” is about them. It was funded by Kickstarter- I remember throwing a few bucks in because it seemed so interesting to see if they were actually twins!

5 Likes

13 Likes

squints this painting does not look like Boston 1777 fashion. :rofl:

4 Likes

Also the palm trees, compact tan dirt, and architecture.

4 Likes

The clothes are actually right for the time period, but not the location. This is Market Day by Brunias. He worked in the Dominican and did some fantastic renderings of the clothing worn during the time period. The head wraps on both the black and white women were a common feature of the creole fashion that permeated the west indies in the late 18th century.

10 Likes

oh, do you have opinions on my avatar? I am torn because I have always loved her, but then discovered Augustus John was a horrible person.

1 Like

If we could only enjoy art made by non assholes, the world would be very dim.

I honestly don’t know your painting well, looks like it’s post expressionist/more modern? It’s past my time period.

I’ve loved the direct gaze of the subject and think she is marvelous. Her air is of being slightly, sarcastically amused by the world as though she knows something we don’t and she would be happy to tell it to you if you had the courage to confront her.

8 Likes

she is here

One of the first paintings I remember engaging with at the AGO (that and the boy with frog Animal Instincts | Art Gallery of Ontario)

And yes, she was quite the character (Celebrating the Marchesa Luisa Casati's Eccentric Beauty on Her Birthday | Vogue, Luisa Casati - Wikipedia)

1 Like

Yeah!! It reminded me of some historical Brazilian fashion I’ve seen actually. :smiley:

1 Like

13 Likes

First good use for a beard I’ve ever seen.

6 Likes

But does the cat agree.
:rofl::rofl:

10 Likes

Tell me more

1 Like

This account on IG! She posts costuming stuff and also does a great job educating about non European historical dress, mostly afro Brazilian!

I hope you enjoy a fellow Brazilian!! :smiley:

10 Likes

He’s seen some shit

1 Like

17 Likes