Today I Learned

11 Likes

Baby flamingos also don’t know how to stand on one leg (or maybe their legs aren’t strong enough yet?) so they fall over while they’re learning. They’re adorably bad at it at first.

12 Likes

Today I learned about light pillars. I really want to see one!!!

8 Likes

10 Likes

8 Likes

I just learned that when Sir Edmond Hillary wanted to summit Everest a second time without oxygen he couldn’t get funding. So to get funding he billed it as a hunt for the yeti and got plenty of funds. He did not believe the yeti was real and did not find any evidence on his expedition either.

19 Likes

I think this is going to be huge.

9 Likes

!!! This is SO COOL

1 Like

Welp!

15 Likes

:neutral_face:

Welp

4 Likes

As someone who asked a lot and never got it - yep.

6 Likes

I once successfully negotiated, but it was still shockingly low.

4 Likes

I once did it and got a huge bump with a promotion, and was so proud of myself. I shared a wall with the HR person, and I overheard her talking about how they needed a better system to catch when people are being dramatically underpaid. She gave my trajectory at the company as her example. Guess I just got myself to parity, oops!

14 Likes

This happened to me once. I knew I didn’t ask for enough when the raise I suggested was immediately approved without any back and forth :weary:

11 Likes

ugh i once negotiated for a job for which i was THE most qualified person in the world (it was to implement and design new features for a system i knew well). i did my research and asked for $100k. the counteroffer was $85k and i got them to $90k. i was proud of myself, esp when my boss told me the last person had gotten $80k.

BUT my first week of work, my old-school grandboss stopped in my office and gave me a big long lecture about how i better be happy with my salary even though it wasn’t what i had asked for, because there were tons of people who’d been there way longer who got paid less. he said it in a super dickish way. i cannot imagine him delivering that speech to a man in my position.

16 Likes

Covid lockdowns may have caused a dominant flu strain to go extinct:

14 Likes

Wasn’t that a relatively mild strain?

2 Likes

16 Likes

The chief engineer on fords new F150 lightening is a woman! Super cool. Also WSJ had a woman interview her. Hell yes more of all of this.

The larger size, and all electric unfortunately ended up not having it work for our needs but we suuuper wanted this (or the maverick) if we could have done an all electric truck. It’s a cool damn truck with some really neat details to it.

9 Likes

14 Likes