Today I Learned

14 Likes

Sweet potatoes are morning glories

11 Likes

HUH. Does that mean they’re pretty invasive once planted?

4 Likes

No idea. Maybe in its native environment? Or maybe since you’re harvesting the roots it doesn’t have as much energy to put into spreading.

4 Likes

My parents entire side yard is taken over by sweet potatoes every year that they don’t plant…so they seem invasive in very humid/wet environments!

5 Likes

AHAH! I was just wondering this last week!

2 Likes

I know the world has moved onto lagom now but still interesting!

4 Likes

TIL we have moved onto lagom. And also what lagom means.

7 Likes

Double same.

3 Likes

Very interesting. I never got into the hygge thing, because I’m too lazy to create cozy; but if eating candy is hygge, then I am very hygge.

Will need to learn more about lagom. Hadn’t heard that one yet.

4 Likes

“It was a huge surprise that this ancient forager survived a very serious and life-threatening childhood operation, that the wound healed to form a stump and that they then lived for years in mountainous terrain with altered mobility,” study co-author Melandri Vlok, a bioarchaeologist and postdoctoral research associate at the University of Sydney," said in a statement. “[This suggests] a high degree of community care.”

12 Likes

VERY COOL

3 Likes

which of course reminds me of the old quote attributed to Margaret Mead that the first evidence of civilization was a healed fractured femur.

8 Likes

That quote literally made me cry the first time I read it. Such a vivid image for me.

7 Likes
9 Likes

TY I am now down a botanical rabbit hole.

1 Like

ITS SO COOL. I literally learned about this plant in my history of medicine class too. (Although it was presented to us just as extinct, full stop).

3 Likes

More info for those interested

5 Likes

Y’all have moved on, but they are a tropical plant, so only if you have tropical conditions. (so much so that you won’t get actual tubers (to eat) unless you start them super early inside (like… Feb?) because the season just isn’t long enough. Unless you live like along the gulf coast or something. (Not you, specifically, One.)

However, “common morning glory” (Ipomoea purpurea), the kind commonly planted and the kind most commonly found at the garden center seed rack, can be invasive in some environments. And of course, bindweed (which is sometimes called morning glory) is extremely invasive. Bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis) and common morning glory are related, both are in the same family, Convolvulaceae. Bindweed is neigh nigh (lol, neigh) impossible to get rid of once you have it, it’s a beast.

4 Likes

New bucket list item. Visit Iceland and participate in the annual yeeting of puffins.

10 Likes