Today I Learned

Expedition unknown just did a whole episode on the Donner party and it was absolutely fascinating. I literally only knew about the cannibalism part but there is so much more to the story.

7 Likes

Cannibalism has a funny way of overshadowing other things. IDK why.

15 Likes

You know how crazy we get about food talk!

7 Likes

:rofl:

What were the other crazy things? Did it smell like maybe an early cult?

7 Likes

Hahahaha! So true. :laughing:

2 Likes

Imagine what they could have done with an InstaPot or AirFryer!

2 Likes

I feel like dipping sauces would be essential, especially for the tougher cuts.

Too far?

3 Likes

Brandon at MadFientist had a kid! Congrats to him. Might interest some folks on here too because they were late 30s and changed their minds and decided to have kids. Been a discussion around here before so interesting take, although he doesn’t dive super deep.

9 Likes

Happy for them! His reasons for not wanting kids were pretty different than mine, so I can see how his mind could change.

3 Likes

TIL there are shrimp in NYC water. Tiny tiny shrimp. Which meant this discovery was a bit of a problem for a group of observant Orthodox Jews. After a great deal of consideration they decided it was reasonable to continue consuming the water without filtering.

9 Likes

Science fiction?

3 Likes

“Closing time” by supersonic is partially about the writer wanting his preemie daughter in the NICU to come home :broken_heart::pleading_face:

11 Likes

That song meant a lot to me in high school (a time of transition), I had it played as our last song at our wedding (which was much more for us than the performative first dance with everyone watching us), and my husband told me the meaning behind the song when I was pregnant with Kiddo. Obviously I cannot listen to it without crying now. :sob: :sob: :sob: Love that song. If I had a playlist for my funeral that would definitely be on it.

10 Likes

Same!

6 Likes

I sing it to my dog when I put him in the crate and he doesn’t want to go?

5 Likes

Same here! The DJ was like, people always joke about doing this, but you’re the first couple to really do it :laughing: I love learning the meaning behind songs. Now it’s even more special to me.

8 Likes

https://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/5-8/features/creepy_feature.html?fbclid=IwAR3OvchzQkuu0-9F1IneCv7tn-nZtyASSh11iaqzjlQg--0gZmJu3q9arfg

Currently, we can’t really model how sand moves.

10 Likes

4 Likes

21 Likes

No wonder OSHA exists :joy:

13 Likes