Tiny Victories

H and I finally got time to sit with the stand mixer I got off of buy nothing. After YouTube, some swearing, and a little tin of grease we have successfully swapped and regreased it!

And I made sugar scrub to test it out.

8 Likes

Kid-4 and her best friend are visiting London this week, Kid-4’s first overseas trip without a parent. When Kid-2 (who lives in Italy) found out, he booked a flight over there for a quick overnight. This will be the first time they’ve spent any real quality time together in probably 3 or 4 years. :heart:

7 Likes

With Mr Yarrakiwi and our son and his gf (she’s visiting from Montreal - long distance relationship at the moment) went to Come from Away. We all loved it. The Tony Victor relates to my son going to, and enjoying a musical theatre production!
I first heard of the wonderful story behind it when there was an article in the Age (Melbourne newspaper) a few months ago. (USA and Canada people are possibly familiar with it?)

4 Likes

I read the book when it first came out; what a lovely story! I’ve read it a few times since when I needed a reminder of how fantastic people can be :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was doing fine until they got to talking about saving the old dogs. Now I’m a bit sniffly. What an amazing story.

2 Likes

Tony Victor: I’m eating the food I have right now despite my whining in Tiny Complaints.

Turns out leftover dal is surprisingly good if you stir in some salsa and eat it with tortilla chips. Bonus: this is some of the dal I mentioned needing to get out of the freezer in the pantry challenge thread.

4 Likes

Yep, ditto the care for the animals and also what they did for the Make-A-Wish foundation children who had been headed to Disney.

1 Like

I hung up decorations that have been cluttering one of our flat surfaces for ages.

I spent an hour and a half gardening this morning – and I can see a little acorn squash forming!

I made carne asada for dinner with homemade tortillas and mexican rice from scratch.

I got my laundry done before 9 pm.

I actually feel like a competent adult.

5 Likes

I married the right man. Probably not a tiny victory.

6 Likes

My parents have been married for 47 years. I know this because my aunt called them to sing happy anniversary to them and called me by accident.
So my victory is that I got sung to.

6 Likes

My son is excited to go back to school tomorrow after summer vacation.

2 Likes

I’m gonna make a peach-blueberry cobbler just as soon as these peaches ripen…

3 Likes

I was feeling guilty about how much more of the overnight / very early morning parenting Mr H was doing. Ewok fixed this by waking up at 4am and needing me to hold him so he could sleep (he’s struggling with congestion in his chest). Now I feel like an equal parent and a good partner again :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The weather is so nice and our backyard is all set up for outdoor play, so we have spent about 4 hours outdoors this morning.

I overdid it a little and now need to sit quietly for the next 4 hours, but WORTH IT.

4 Likes

We had enough cheese for the party.

5 Likes

Tonight my mom had over one of her friends, whose son died suddenly last week. Friend has hardly slept in days. After dinner she went out on the patio and lay down on the outdoor sofa, and I played a recording of Kid-4 singing a worship song, and she finally drifted off to sleep. She was still there when I left. I feel so much like one person touched another’s heart tonight without even being there.

9 Likes

@TNT I’m sorry to hear of your mother’s friend’s loss, and glad you could provide some comfort to her.

My tiny victory is that I started finding all the spreadsheets and documents I’ve made in attempts to organise our grocery shopping and meal planning over the past decade into the one folder on my computer.

2 Likes

I’m in the waiting room of a massage place, ready for a stretch session. I’m pretty excited about this.

1 Like

I got a rebate check for $125 from my state health insurance. I don’t know why. I am accepting it.

4 Likes

I have 3 more degrees of flexion in my ankle than I did three weeks ago. Halfway to normal flexion! :muscle::muscle::muscle:

5 Likes