Tiny Complaints

My dishes didn’t magically get washed while I spent 6 hours doing physics homework today. WTF. It should be illegal to have to wash dishes after spending 6 looking at vectors :roll_eyes:

11 Likes

Put our numbers into TaxAct (the ones we have so far, at any rate - still waiting for Vanguard and one 1099-Misc). Going to have to pay for tax prep software* for the first time in many years because we make too much money when both of us are working.

*Or do manually, which I may do instead.

4 Likes

My situation got more complicated last year (to the point where I couldn’t even file with H&R Block because they don’t offer the non-resident state return I needed), and I found FreeTaxUSA to be a huge step up. Way cheaper (also cheaper than TaxAct) and did what we needed. You can file federal taxes for free at any income if you don’t want their extra support, and each state is only $15. Might be worth looking into!

5 Likes

Hm. What’s in it for them, though?

With the IRS Free File (which I’ve used for years now), I knew it was a negotiated settlement where the big tax companies could help to make Congress feel like/ be able to claim they had done something while still using dark patterns to make sure almost everyone paid anyway. With this, my first thought is that “if you’re not paying for the product, you are the product.”

2 Likes

My understanding is that it’s a pretty bare bones operation geared towards users who mostly know what they’re doing. Since there’s not as much live support, etc., they’re able to cover costs with people who choose to upgrade to deluxe + state return fees. I don’t think it’s the same situation as other free websites that make a profit by running ads or selling data.

From their privacy statement: “We will share your personally identifiable information with third parties only in the ways that are described in this privacy statement. We do not sell your personally identifiable information to third parties.” https://www.freetaxusa.com/privacy.jsp

I definitely thought they sounded too good to be true at first, but when I suddenly had to switch software right before the deadline last year, I couldn’t find any obvious catch so I went with it. It was a good enough experience I’m planning to use them again this year.

2 Likes

I’ve used FreeTaxUSA for 5 years now, they are great!

3 Likes

I also used FreeTaxUSA last year, and it worked out well. Not as easy to search for forms as TaxAct, but SO much cheaper. It’s worth that $100 for me to do more work myself.

1 Like

Goddamned motherfucking snow.

4 Likes

I want to make lots and lots of oatmeal cookies and there is nobody to eat them (eta here)

3 Likes

My body is revolting. I feel Sick™ in some unidentified way. Piles of covid tests say “nah”, thermometer says “barely elevated, calm down”, yet I’m thankin about those sweet sweet PTO Hours and the fact that I feel like I could easily sleep for 12-15 hours straight. :sneezing_face:

9 Likes

I made oatmeal cookies in your stead.
You’re welcome.
It was a huge sacrifice.

4 Likes

I appreciate you.

Chocolate chip? Raisin? combo? none?

2 Likes

A small number of cranberries. :two_hearts:

6 Likes

sibling to the raisin :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Instead of going skiing on one of the two mornings a week both kids are at school, I am home with two sick kids and a sick self.

9 Likes

What a bummer :cry:

2 Likes

You might have the flu. My temp has barely gotten to 100 and has mostly hung out in the higher 99 range. Hope you feel better soon!

2 Likes

Ohhhh you have this right now too?!?
Yuck.

Yeah my temp is about 99.

4 Likes

Work has changed their donation program to be even stupider than it was, and I say that as someone who already had to annoy charities regularly to get exact specific wording on their receipts. For more fun, they rolled out the changes without notice and with no information about how it would affect donations already in progress.

7 Likes

I dont know where all the super cute vinyl stickers I’ve been buying went and my new scooter needs decorations!

2 Likes