Tiny Complaints

Trying to test Thing X at work. A manager, thankfully not mine, and a person who wants to be technical but does not have the skills (and, unfortunately, doesn’t realize it) decided that they needed to help.

Now, normally I’m more than happy to show anyone anything I know how to do, but after an extremely slow afternoon spent walking through the flow (for Thing X–I’m literally lining up every single step we’re doing with the Thing X documentation and trying to keep the would-be tech person from charging off down unrelated tangents)…and then Mr. Manager pipes up with, “Have we really thought about what we’re supposed to be testing here?”

IT’S F’ING THING X. THIS WOULD HAVE TAKEN 30 MIN IF I WAS DOING IT ALONE.

(For the record I’m still winding down from a <mumble mumble> week work trip where we were generally in the labs for 10+ hours a day so it’s no secret that I’m beyond people’d out, but seriously)

11 Likes

Classic derailing fake value add. I swear some managers get a reputation for deep thinking just by piping up with this stuff.

10 Likes

Glad this isn’t just in my workplace :unamused::roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Notice how it never ends up with them having to do any additional work, or take any responsibility. And if anyone points out derailing they are all ‘i didn’t say it was wrong, i was just confirming the team had thought through alternate options before going too far down the route…’

Hmm. Obviously i am still triggered easily.

ETA: at one point I started a list of these phrases. Probably a bad idea to look for it for posting.

10 Likes

I recently joined a meetup group, and today this random guy who had just joined Meetup sent me a message. I reported him and also sent him a message saying that Meetup is not a dating site and it’s not ok to send unsolicited messages to people he hasn’t met, and then I blocked him. Ick. If he wants to meet people, he should just go to a Meetup!

11 Likes

I have to do a job. Can I instead have a small lottery winnings - not millions, just enough that we can FIRE now? That way I can spend my day doing cooking and Halloween crafts and enjoying the nice weather we’re having, and not just putting my face in front of a screen and fitting in chores where I can.

16 Likes

1.7 million coming at you!

5 Likes

I feel this so hard.

1 Like

The can of expensive stone-texture spray paint ran out really quickly and there wasn’t enough in the can for what I needed. That is super annoying. I’m not paying for another can so time to improvise, I guess.

It looked REALLY cool too. Oh well.

5 Likes

Dinner was late and I didn’t notice I was really hungry, and so I ate WAY too fast, and now I’m very uncomfortably full. Ow.

8 Likes

Confused about why, now that I’m working today, I don’t immediately feel better? Still coughing and tired? Rude!

8 Likes

Anyone else just getting weekly fucking letters from different companies saying your info may have been compromised? I’m so sick of this.

8 Likes

Naomi Novik’s Golden Enclaves arrived from the library, and my brain is really not up for reading it right now.

9 Likes

My copy just came in too! I have to go to work instead of curling up and reading it, though. Absolute travesty

3 Likes

I have a new ebook download available for the new one in the Akata Witch series, and I simply do not have the brain for ANY book. Also, I still have another library book to finish anyway.

2 Likes

I made myself a lunch and packed it like a responsible citizen last night and then I forgot it in the fridge this morning!!! I have a 30 minute lunch break, I don’t have time to get food out. :sob:

14 Likes

I have effing hand, foot, and mouth disease. My children do not.

0/10, do not recommend. Very itchy hands, very blistery tonsils.

22 Likes

Sorry to add a tiny victory update to this thread, but I have never been so happy to see cat poop in a litter box. By the time I was ready to call her vet last night, I didn’t need to anymore. I guess she just needed a little time to pass whatever it was. Nice to save the money and spare her any annoying tests.

15 Likes

That is totally rude of the children (I’m assuming they somehow have it to you even if you don’t have it)

6 Likes

19 Likes