Tiny Complaints

Me too! :smile:

But I’m totally puzzled! If the “up” isn’t a stressed syllable, I don’t see why you feel the need to add it! Not saying you’re wrong, I just wonder what linguistic thing it is.

And now I’m thinking of another book, Who Is Coming to Our House? * The line is “‘Someone, someone,’ says Mouse,” and I read it as it is even though it doesn’t scan, and D always says “the mouse.”

*it’s Jesus

1 Like

I say towels as one syllable rhythmically so “up” made sense to me :joy: and it’s needed to continue the 4-syllable pattern.

I still have most of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom in memory and it’s been at least 15 years since we read it. We had a VHS tape read-a-long that probably informed my rhythm!

5 Likes

Oh yeah, that’s a thing!

To me it doesn’t matter how many syllables there are. It matters how many stresses there are. That was actually just discussed on one of the linguistics podcasts I listen to, Lingthusiasm!

4 Likes

I’m delighted that I’m not the only one that “overthinks” how to stress the sounds in a board book :joy:

5 Likes

Thanks for lingthusiasm! Do you know The Ling Space (aimed at students, really).

1 Like

Oh no, not by a long shot. FWIW I read same as you, @meerkat.

Related, I should get some of Banjo Patterson’s works. They’re not child appropriate but the cadence is delightful to read aloud.

2 Likes

I think because it’s UP down UP down UP down, there’s no down between towel and on.

4 Likes

Yes yes! This is what I meant. I used the wrong terminology. I think my brain outright rejected all memories of language structure and study once I stopped studying and writing at that level!

2 Likes

My skin is freaking out.

3 Likes

My oven turned itself off in the middle of baking bread.

7 Likes

Mine is doing this thing where it doesn’t turn the heating element off sometimes. same for the range. I’ve had to put a separate thermometer in there that will alert me if it gets too hot.

1 Like

Work laptop maybe dying? Seems to be steadily losing charge despite being plugged in. My manager ordered me offline for at least 30 minutes to see if being unused but charging helps at all.

I’ve no idea what IT even does now if your mac needs repair, since we are all remote.

Tiny victory: boss is basically making me take a lunch break so I’m out on the back deck eating leftover pizza that I forgot I had.

7 Likes

I lived in a place that had an oven that did that. That’s the year I used the oven as storage and learned how to make small batch stuff that would fit in the toaster oven.

1 Like

Is it plugged in but the battery is still installed? Sometimes the battery can prevent power from getting to the computer (if it is the battery going bad) and eventually it will go all the way dead even plugged in. Sometimes removing the battery completely and running off of the power directly coming from the wall will work (I had a problem like this). Replacing the battery solves it, unless it is something else wrong not related to the battery. They should be willing to buy a new battery and ship it to you (one would hope!).

Oh wait, this is a Mac? Uh, can you access the battery?

1 Like

You’ve hit upon the essential question. :wink: I’m honestly not sure, this mac is maybe 6-ish years old, and I know you used to not be able to get at the battery easily. It can be done, but it voids your warranty at minimum and I’m told it’s not a simple thing (by my Apple store genius friend.

I would probably be disinclined to fuck with a $3,000-plus work-owned machine on my own, if it’s not an easy fix, haha.

At any rate, the 30-minute idleness seems to have done the trick, it charged up again and the fan stopped whirring loudly. According to IT, being on the VPN for too long can also cause this - 95 percent of my work can be done without VPN so I almost never connect to it because of slowness, but today happened to be one of those 5 percent days that I did need to use it.

1 Like

I’m glad that did the trick! I looked at my old (VERY old) Macbook and that thing is like hermetically sealed. :joy:

2 Likes

My baby is crying a lot today, for no apparent reason. Bad day to be solo.

8 Likes

I was dumb and burned my lips and tongue on a hot fork.

3 Likes

I keep getting just slightly carsick while I’m driving. It’s also 100 degrees out. The combination is gross.

4 Likes

There is some sort of celebratory car parade thing going through my neighborhood, and all the honking is annoying.

2 Likes