Tiny Complaints

Up from 4.20am with Ewok. Do not like. I want sleep.

3 Likes

Got our home inspection back. Roof is at the end of its life (we knew it was older, but turns out it’s a cheap type so it’s donezo, full stop). No moisture damage yet from it at least. But ughhhhh things to think about and shiz.

11 Likes

I hate thinking about big decisions. I just want it to be perfect and obvious automatically! Stupid complexity.

4 Likes

Is it a thing out there to ask for a discount because of roof replacement?

1 Like

Yep. That’s the plan. It just sucks. Delays move in, always a risk when work is done, hard on landscaping, etc. And we’ll probably want a nicer roof than the basic replacement with three tab, so we’ll have to kick money above and beyond the credit in, even if they give the full credit.

8 Likes

I’ve apparently made my fingerprints unreadable to my phone through excessive gardening.

5 Likes

Ugh I got suckered into a 40 minute Zoom meeting for an MLM. I didn’t see it coming this time, I totally thought my friend was working for a non-profit. I really hope he got in early enough to be profitable but I’m not adding to his bottom line.

9 Likes

I’ve been trying to get my Kobo and my Chromebook to connect for the last twenty minutes. The Kobo is charging because it’s connected to the Chromebook, but the Chromebook doesn’t seem to recognize that an external device has been connected so I can’t transfer any of my books onto it. Grr.

2 Likes

No, it’s not just you. I always had a hard time with it too, but the kids never seemed to care. You could try a video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPWk3SjKRAs

You know what book has the meter right? Jazz Baby. I love that book!

1 Like

Yesterday I made a delivery to the third floor of an apartment building. I walked up the three flights, but couldn’t find that unit, so I walked back down to see if there was another staircase. I didn’t see one, so I walked back up the three flights and looked again. I still couldn’t find it, so I called the customer. He said there was indeed a second staircase, so I walked back down the three flights and across a courtyard and up those three flights and then down them again. An hour later I got another delivery to the third floor of different building in the same complex. Then I forgot about the whole thing.

At some point last night while I was sleeping, someone snuck in with a wrench or something and tightened my calves as tight as they will go. I think my lower legs are going to break off.

10 Likes

Kiddo is “graduating” from preschool.

His teacher wants to do a drive through graduation in the car loop at school and give him a small gift. Cool, so we’ll take him out of the house for the first time in two months, he’ll be so excited, he’ll get to see his teachers (and maybe also his friends!) … through a window. No hugs. Then I guess we loiter for a few minutes then drive home? The whole outing could be less than 30 minutes. Maybe we could add a family walk somewhere but given that Florida’s cases/deaths are continuing to rise (can’t have a second wave if the first one never stops, har har har) I don’t feel comfortable going out to a location with unknown crowds, much less taking my kid out.

Has anyone done a cover to Everything is Awesome but Everything Sucks for this virus yet? Cause that’s my theme song right now. I didn’t even really care about preschool graduations till two months ago! And now thinking about this makes me want to cry.

12 Likes

That really, really sucks. ((hugs))

2 Likes

Boy Kitty tore one of his back claws last night.

mildly gross

It’s split down pretty far, vertically, too far for me to trim it or anything. It looks like it bled some but stopped. It also looks kind of… bent? Askew? Like it is not at the right angle.

Waiting for the vet to open so I can call and plead with them to see him. I don’t know if they are only doing emergency appointments still like they were in March. I do know we won’t be able to go in with him. :frowning:

It is obviously bothering him, he’s licking it a lot and biting at it and seems very subdued. He is walking OK, though, if slower and more carefully than usual.

ETA: Tiny victory, we got an appointment for this afternoon with the vet we like most. Boyfriend is taking him. Kitty seems in a little better mood today but, well, it still looks pretty gnarly so he is still going in to get looked at.

6 Likes

In spite of getting the first 5 hour stretch I’ve had in weeks last night, I feel like I was hit by a truck.

6 Likes

You clearly read The Going to Bed Book (bed book! bed book!) differently than I do. I cannot make “up” fit into the rhythm at all.

It is actually pretty interesting to hear the different cadences people read rhyming children’s books–I noticed my mom reads Llama Llama Red Pajama very differently than I do. The wiggler doesn’t seem to have any objection…

1 Like

I’m struggling with all the Sandra Boynton books. There’s almost always a word I can’t get to fit. Is Weird to me. I have a bog standard west coast accent, nothing particularly regional.

googles Sandra Boynton

She grew up less than ten miles from where I grew up. I guess that explains a lot :laughing:

2 Likes

[from memory]
They take a bath
In one big tub
with soap all over
scrub scrub scrub. [turn page]
They hang their towels
(up) on the wall
And find p’jamas
Big and small.

So I guess I have a four-ish syllable rhythm. Pajamas sort of gets muddled into 2.5 syllables instead of three.

3 Likes

Interesting… This is how I say it with stressed syllables bolded:

They take a bath
In one big tub
With soap all over
Scrub scrub scrub!
They hang their towels
On the wall
And find pajamas
Big and small.

Where do you put the stress in the “towels” sentence? ETA: It must be like They hang their towels up on the wall, right?

2 Likes

They hang their towels
up on the wall

(The English major/linguist nerd in me is delighted by this conversation)

3 Likes