Thrifting Scores

$4 thrift store sweater

I realized I’ve now gotten so much of my wardrobe from thrift stores and garage sales that instead of thinking “this sweater would probably be at least $15 new” I now think “this would be like $1 at a garage sale.”

8 Likes

Haha, same! When you’ve been shopping at garage sales your whole life (not by choice!) you have a rather different idea of what things should cost.

3 Likes

Yep :smiley:, at least from the thrift store side. There are two thrift stores near me, one that has a half-priced sale every Saturday and one that has better sales but really inconsistently timed. I accidentally destroyed my last good pair of heavy jeans early in September (heavy meaning made of actual denim vs whatever the lighter material a lot of women’s jeans seem to be made of now) and when I ended up getting $3 jeans from the first store as a replacement rather than the $0.50 jeans I’d have gotten if I’d been able to figure out when the second store was going to have their next denim sale, ‘wow, these were expensive’ was my first thought.

5 Likes

I’d thought this game looked fun to try out, but not worth the £20 I’d seen it for. £1.50 in a charity shop on holiday on the other hand?.. Also got a short jumper thing which will be good for wearing with high waisted stuff.

8 Likes

OBAMA LLAMA.

4 Likes

I have been doing a lot of thrifting lately to find clothing that is a little less…bike shop casual. I went to “the big city” a month ago and had great luck finding really nice options at a couple of thrift stores. I apparently was in a flowery/leafy mood that day, which is not usually what I go for at all haha. I also got a few things online at thredup, which was having a 40% off sale at the time. A few of the items are a little out of my comfort zone but I think that’s a good thing because I tend to stick with a comfort zone of practical, casual, outdoorsy clothes. My favorite item is the black dress, because it looks like a really standard black work dress, but the back is criss crossed in a really flattering way, also it has pockets!!! Unpictured is a brand new pair of skinny black dress pants from Loft to wear with most of these tops. I got them at the thrift store for $8.99! They look like pants, so I spared you all a picture.

11 Likes

Most of my clothes are thrifted and I’m surprised by how many of the things I like enough to try on turn out to be Loft! I like a lot of their clothes but I’ve never bought anything new from them because even with a sale it’s just more than I’m willing to pay for a shirt or whatever.

2 Likes

Stripes and flowers, looks like my wardrobe. :+1: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not pictured, but my most recent score was a heavy, glass manual juicer. Made mojitos for self and Room Mate recently, and got every drop of juice out of the limes (free, from coworker). Yummiest thrift store find!

5 Likes

That sounds amazing, oneday!

Tanks katscratch! I keep a list of things I’d buy if I found them, it’s currently about a page long.

I love that your like the thread cheerleader.

2 Likes

What a great compliment. Thank you! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Bought this to resell and I’m having a hard time giving it up. I love athletic clothes. I loved sporty spice. There, I said it.

12 Likes

Sporty spice was my fashion icon for many years :joy: no shame. Honestly I’m sad track suits ever fell out of fashion.

3 Likes

… but did they though?

2 Likes

I would keep it, it looks cozy and sporty! Athletic clothing is my love language…don’t ask me how many hoodies and leggings I own.

2 Likes

Tell that to the $1200 designer tracksuit I’ve seen around town lately.

Sporty’s were better though…

2 Likes

Oh hey that reminds me of a random fact. Juicy Coutoure (cannot spell) grew out of a maternity brand two women had started! Not that I ever liked juicy, but I spend a lot of time watching YouTube videos :joy: and CNBC and WSJ do some excellent business videos. Anyway, since everything 90s is hot again, apparently some high end designers are collaborating with Juicy and the stock price is making a comeback.

3 Likes