The Unf*ck It Thread

I have some grocery bags from Earth Day is 1987.

7 Likes

Those bags are older than me, and I’m middle aged!

6 Likes

Please don’t say things like that.

8 Likes

Behold the rise of the middle aged millennial!

8 Likes

I’ll type an angry reply as soon and my thumb joint stops aching. :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

Stop that, it’s mean!

4 Likes

Believe it or not, we’re OUT HERE! We’re not still 12-19 years old like the media would have you believe!!!

7 Likes

Actually a year or two off now…

13 Likes

Stop that.

7 Likes

Somehow this is harder to believe than that I personally turn 50 in 7 years.

12 Likes

No pics… But I am happy to report that my husband hauled off a giveaway pile this morning and that the pile only sat on our back porch for a day before he did so!

I also immediately purged a pair of shoes that I destroyed by walking on the backs of them as soon as I decided that the clearance Kiziks I just bought are keepers.

8 Likes

I turn 50 in a little over 2 years :sob:

(Although, I’m not a Millennial, I am a young Gen X.)

5 Likes

My sister is less than 5 years older than me but she is STRONG Gen X and I identify as elder millennial. (She’s a bicentennial baby and I was born in '81, so I am really the very oldest millennial some people my age identify as Gen X or Xillennial.)

6 Likes

So, this scared me because first I parsed it as “all of the 80s will be 50+ years ago” but it’s more of a “50 years ago will fall in the 80s” which will in fact be true for 2030-2040. It’s not for 16 years yet that all of the 80s will be 50 years in the past.

Anyway, my personal headcanon is that 20s are “young adult” 30s are “prime years” and 40s-50s are “middle age” and if that’s not technically true, :point_right: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :point_left: LALALALA

12 Likes

I think the more generations are added, the less we’re going to split millennials out into separate camps

8 Likes

and I still won’t fit into any of them

or is that the most late X’er claim possible? I’m so X, I don’t even fit in with the Xers.

My parents were born in the early 40s, so likewise don’t really fit in with the boomers or the silent generation.

7 Likes

Old camisole busted a strap and it has been demoted to rags.

7 Likes

I’m not sure, I think generally it’s considered boomers end ~1965 and Gen X end ~ 1980. My sense is that it’s sort of tied to technology and what was available to you, but also what you were exposed to (exposure might make you feel more or less affinity). As a younger Xer I sort of grew up as the technology was developing… We learned to “program” in grade school in BASIC on Apple 2c and 2e. I was very lucky in that my mother as a teacher could get a huge discount on a computer and we had an Apple 2GS when I was in middle/high school (we would NOT have been able to afford it otherwise). Cable was a new thing when I was a kid. The internet was new, though it was mostly Geocities and AOL and Live Journal and IRC chat (I spent so much time in IRC chat in college.) Google wasn’t a thing, Wikipedia wasn’t a thing, YOUTUBE wasn’t a thing, Facebook wasn’t a thing, let alone all the later iterations! Cell phones were not widely available and affordable until after I graduated college, and there were dumb flip phones. So although we grew with tech and we are pretty fluent with it and can adapt (not necessarily so for, say, a lot of boomers (see: my parents)) it didn’t dominate our lives. For later generations it was so much more mature. At least it seems to me.

6 Likes

the shadowy one and I met on irc when I was in university

9 Likes

:heart::heart:

1 Like