The Unf*ck It Thread

I did it! It didn’t get done until today but the crap is in the place it should be! Thanks for the encouragement!

5 Likes

One thing that helped when I was raising my kids is that after your last kid outgrows clothes, toys, etc donate right away. With kids new stuff keeps coming in so some needs to go out. I had a paper folder to keep paper items for each kid. For instance they got their name in the newspaper it went there. They draw something fabulous at age 3 put it there. I never exceeded the one folder per kid. We did keep all their trophies for decades:)). What I found is that the older I get the easier it is to get rid of stuff. I also tended to collect stuff in my 20-30’s. I had a antique doll and teapot collection. Now I literally have one doll and one teapot. It took me to age 60 to throw away my yearbooks. I used to buy stuff and a few years later I was giving it away. Now if I am thinking about buying something I ask myself if I really want/need it or will I be hauling it to the thrift store in the future. That helps with impulse buying.

8 Likes

I looooove this thread idea. Our house is really messy right now. Part of it is because we still need to send out some Xmas gifts (including for my secret santa here – sorry!!!), but other stuff can be put away. My goals for today and tomorrow are: 1.) get together some winter gear and a few other things for my city’s mutual aid supply drive on Sunday and 2.) clear off our table so I can actually sit at it.

4 Likes

@mirepoix I loooove your kitchen lighting! Thanks for sharing your space. I look forward to its eventual unfuckening.

Hurray @gardeningandgreen! i hope you are enjoying the lovely clean hallway.

THIS BOOKCASE WILL BE THE DEATH OF ME.

3 Likes

19 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Thank you!!! Only took me 5 days LOL

2 Likes

I’ve been cleaning off my nightstand for like two months lol

2 Likes

5 days would have passed whether you did it or not, so good on you for doing the thing! It looks really great.

9 Likes

I’ve been in to the Fly Lady daily zone missions lately. I don’t love everything about her approach but I like having someone tell me what to clean if I have 15 my minutes to clean so that I don’t get bogged down.

6 Likes

I did flylady for a while. I get what you mean about someone telling you what to do. Takes the decision making out of it. And the overwhelm if your place is a state like ours is. I struggle with her overall vibe though.

6 Likes

Similar to fly lady, uses her zones, but way better vibe!

https://instagram.com/the_secret_slob?igshid=1e8ezyyarrj7x

She has zone print outs on her website and a YouTube channel.

I also suuuuper struggle with the fly lady but like her ideas. But also her website was soooo bad, haven’t been in forever but it was easily a decade out of date lol.

6 Likes

I will check out, thanks!

3 Likes

If you need un :duck: ing inspiration for today:

11 Likes

TEMPTING

In honor of this, I will actually go spend five minutes unfucking our bedroom a bit.

ETA: Well, who knew that it only took 5 minutes to get an organized pile of shit back in its places.

14 Likes

This is what I am always trying to tell my nine-year-old… just try it for 10 minutes and see how far you get, it’s probably not as bad as you think :slight_smile:.

7 Likes

Started deep cleaning the kitchen today. Wiped down all the lower cabinets and walls.

8 Likes

Whats weird about the fly lady? I only remember her being very adamant about my sink.

I remember their being some intense conservative Christian religious overtones? But maybe that was more the people who follow her, I could be misattributing in retrospect.

3 Likes

I remember a lot of sexism. Carefully a couch and assumptions that of course the woman is responsible for keeping the house spotless at all times no matter what. And of course assumptions that every household has a male and a female person.

5 Likes