The Ultimatum

Just started episode 6: Madlyn’s faces when they’re all discussing their 3 weeks with new partner!!! :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

How are these real people?!?!?

Also I feel like the constant stream of booze is playing into all of the drama. I like myself a drink or two but dang they are drinking a lot.

2 Likes

I wonder if there’s a way to report this and at least get a content warning on the episodes?

Madlyn can dish it out but can’t take it! Jeepers.

1 Like

I’m in the middle of episode 6 and

Spoilers

I cannot fucking stand Colby The Cheese Man. Dude is such a douche. I mean I’m no Madlyn fan (I think she has a drinking problem for sure) but like, that guy is bad news. Madlyn seems to absolutely fucking hate the guy…yet she won’t just leave him? I don’t get it at all. What’s with this girl? She practically cringes whenever he talks.

Zay worries me a lot. He had a really rough childhood and I think he picked up a lot of troubling behaviors/coping mechanisms, which is ok if you realize it and it’s changeable… but he’s in denial. I couldn’t live with someone where he is, especially with his anger level, but I feel like Rae has some weird destructive tendencies towards staying in a bad situation for some reason. Self esteem? Maybe? IDK but I hope she gets away from him.

I feel like Randall and Shanique could almost make it happen, but IDK if they will. They have a pretty bad cycle they seem to go through every time they interact.

April gives me big time eyeliner all the way around the eye crazy vibes. Jake seems just naive enough to fall back into things with her. It’s super weird to me that April has been talking to Jake’s mom?! And Jake’s mom was so Anti-Rae, and like, adamant that he give April another chance. And what the fuck did she mean when she said, “well there are a lot of girls like Rae out there, there aren’t a lot of girls like April.” Like…what??? Rae seems super sweet and smart and together?!

I really hope Rae and Jake end up together. I think they’re perfect.

2 Likes

That girl has the worst poker face ever and I love it.

2 Likes

On a show where the only decent beings are the dogs, I think Colby is actually the worst and Amber is the second worst.

2 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy: speaking the lord’s truth over here

She is straight up scary. So is Zay but at least his scary is obvious. Amber is like, full-on villain in a movie. She already got him to buy her a car and they’re having unprotected sex?! Like…come on Jake. Wake. Up. That’s super weird. If he thinks having babies will make her less intense he is straight up delusional.

4 Likes

Sorry to double post but the other thing that’s so weird about this show (and other marriage-focused reality show) is the way people talk about marriage as like, a stand-alone thing? Like I just don’t relate to wanting marriage but simultaneously being dissatisfied in my current relationship. It’s like…do they think that just getting a ring will suddenly make things feel secure to them or something? I was so the opposite so maybe it’s just an individual thing but like, I was terrified by the idea of marriage my whole life until I fell in love with husband. After falling in love I was like, “this is a man I want to marry, I want him to be my husband” but it was very specific it wasn’t like “I want A marriage”. Is this just a me thing?

3 Likes

Instead of talking about “this experiment” all the time they go on and on about “this experience” :roll_eyes:

ep 6

Holy crap, the expression on Randall’s face when he’s back with Shanique is hostile!

And turns out April has been out flirting with guys she met at parties? She’s a perfect fit for Colby!! Oh, April and Jake are fighting now and he’s sleeping on the couch. They’re so over each other.

Zay found Rae and Jake’s sex toys!!!

Ugh, I feel like Colby is performing all the time. Actually Marmalade said it sounded scripted but I think a lot of times everyone’s just so aware that they’re in front of a camera so they sound really fake.

Ok so we watched to ep 8 and I wrote all that earlier but then we lost power, and still don’t have power. It ended on a cliffhanger and I guess we’ll see what happens tomorrow!!

Go Shanique when she talks to Zay and is spot on about seeing how he falls back on his rough past and isn’t moving forward from that. Madlyn and Colby are both the worst and even worse together. April is all drama. Jake and Rae are the only two I’m rooting for. Randall and Madlyn seemed to get along but I think he just hasn’t seen what a shitty person she is.

Will this post when I only have 1 bar on my phone? We shall see.

1 Like

Yesss!

Summary

I think Shanique is one of the most likable people on the show overall. I mean she definitely has some passive aggressive shit to work out, and she can’t take criticism at all, but she doesn’t seem totally off in the way the others do. Also she was so right about Zay I was practically applauding! And he got so pissed off, lol. My mom is so much like him (but like, a lot fucking more volatile, lol–I bet he’s holding back because of cameras) which of course is why he makes me nuts, and I got the sense Shanique has known people like him before too because of how she kind of laughed knowingly at his immediate defensive/angry response. It’s like, having a shitty start in life doesn’t give you license to be an a-hole for the next 50-70 years, lol. But people sure think it does sometimes!

I think with people like him, he thinks that because he can verbally acknowledge what he’s doing that means he’s changed/coped well and should be applauded for surviving. Because he’ll say stuff like, “I’m sorry I did x and I take responsibility. I know it’s because of my past with z.” but like it sounds super rote like a kid apologizing…and then he’ll just do it again and again and again. He doesn’t realize that seeing the problem is just step 1 and like, the whole point of that step is to actually correct what you’re doing, lol. I think sometimes people who feel so victimized and like they weren’t loved enough at a young age develop an unending well of need (everything he says that’s positive about Shanique is how she helps him, she teaches him, she makes him better, etc. like a kid talking about his mom) and a simultaneous extreme fragility (flying off the handle when anyone else has feelings or needs, and it isn’t 100% focused on him being praised/cared for).

That recipe results in a really abusive personality type IMO. But they feel like it’s all acceptable because of what they’ve been through…without ever opening their eyes to the fact that lots of people survive all sorts of horrific shit, and many of them don’t live in that victim/aggressive mode forever after.

Obviously I skipped watching Encanto, lol. I read like one review and was like TOO CLOSE TO HOME. Haha, maybe if we were a few generations removed, lol.

Colby The Cheese Man is a whole other kind of asshole. I think he might just be a straight up sociopath or something. He and April would be kind of perfect together, lol. They can treat each other like crap as a team!

3 Likes
Shanique

I think she’s a weird combination of really immature and yet surprisingly perceptive. She can’t seem to handle conflict or criticism well, either.

Also, can we talk about how gorgeous she is? Every time I see her it takes my breath away. I don’t know if they had her put on makeup on her “sitting in bed talking” scene but her skin is flawless.

1 Like
Summary

I KNOW, RIGHT? She is really gorgeous.

1 Like

The entire cast could slot right into one of those CW shows and play high schoolers. (Well, not Alexis - she’s more “real housewives” or “selling sunset” type)

3 Likes

Haha, seriously! I keep being surprised by their ages.

1 Like
5 Likes

The conclusion to those tweets is exactly how I feel about this entire show. It’s a trainwreck I cannot look away from.

3 Likes

IT’S ULTIMATUM DAY!! But I can’t watch until Marmalade is done with work. I think he’s hooked now :joy:

4 Likes

I tried watching two episodes yesterday, but I just cant commit to the entire show. It was messy. It was entertaining! I’m convinced there’s a vast conspiracy that everyone on this show is lying about their age (these people look 45) or the lighting designer is an evil genius. I could NOT follow the drama because it is totally unclear to me who each Ultimatum’s original opposite (actual partner) is. Severely reconsidering my grasp of the English language after Amber’s monologue at the dinner table in the choosing trial marriage episode. Also this show is definitely just for people who are already broken up and need a paycheck for first last and deposit to move out right?

7 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy: Girl, that speech was like a meandering word salad of nonsense. I don’t think anyone other than Colby had any idea what she was saying, which is funny bc Colby also likes to do those nonsensical monologues/lectures.

Genius. I hope that is actually the case, haha.

3 Likes