Spring Cleaning Motivation Thread

I dusted!!! I found I had one of those fancy stuffed dusting disposable things left over from when we sold our house, and that eliminated the rag/rinse holdup, so I was able to work through most of the apartment in between baby sleep/wake/feed/play type cycles. Not the most eco solution, but we already owned it, and now it’s done and our air is cleaner. I’m counting that as a win.

8 Likes

Still haven’t mopped. I came back from the trip with about 1,000 tubs of hand me down clothes, which is only about half of what’s ultimately coming. So when I wasn’t doing regular class stuff plus also advising, I was sorting, washing, and re-sorting. Many of the tiny size items came with yellow stains that made me :frowning: until I looked up a solution. Turns out it’s Oxi-clean. Miraculous stuff.

Anyway, the 1,000 tubs were reorganized, and one of them is even full of stuff for consignment, so leaving the house eventually, but then there was nowhere to put them. So I moved all the rando cardboard boxes out of the basement and moved some other storage tubs in from the second bedroom closet. Now that closet can take all 1,000 tubs, but I still have rando boxes in the hallway.

Now I need to break down and consolidate the rando boxes, move the 1,000 tubs to the closet, rearrange the couch, bring the rugs out to be beaten and aired, then sweep, and then finally mop. And then figure out if a global pandemic is a good or terrible time to bring things to consignment. It’s probably a terrible time, and I need to accept the continued presence of that tub and not use it as a further mop-resisting excuse.

Oh, and another 1,000 tubs may be coming in this weekend.

7 Likes

I was searching the forum for a cleaning thread…found this one that I already joined and was super excited about. :woman_facepalming: I guess I should actually get started on this. I have been doing better with everyday cleaning up, at least spending 10-15 mins doing something but its a big house and there’s just too much stuff out in plain sight.

5 Likes

I’m scrapping my previous list altogether now that I’ve had a change of locations.

My list now:

• Unpack more boxes
  • Clean the heater coils (very dusty!)
  • Win the War of the Ants
7 Likes

Goals for today;

1. Wash sofa throw pillows
  2. Sweep/Mop bedroom floor
  3. Clean out/Organize Night Stand
2 Likes

I organized my bedside table. Most of the things that should have been in drawers were in the floor. Bagged various cords and they won’t tangle with everything else.

3 Likes

I accomplished nothing on my new list today. I did, however, replace three lightbulbs in my apartment and I think that counts for something.

8 Likes

Goals for tomorrow;

1. Clean out/Organize Night Stand
  2. Wash windows in Living room
  3. Go through Shirts and find 20 to donate (this may be a multi day task)
4 Likes

I have been “reorganizing” and deep cleaning my kitchen for a couple days now. I keep running too late in the day and have to put everything back so my housemate can use the kitchen.

I’m slow 🤷 but making progress.

Goals for tomorrow, depending on whether my housemate is home all day:

• Finish taking everything out of cupboards
  • Get “rid” of items that aren’t mine and which will never get used
  • Decide what of mine I need to keep

I always get stuck on baking items because I love baking but my body can’t tolerate it much anymore.

5 Likes

I organized my junk drawer, night stand, and contents from 3 purses. All 20 open lip balms are now in one place. Why do I have so many?

6 Likes

Oh yeah, this thread!

Done (multiple times lol):
-Clean toilets, including the bases
-Scrub the tubs rub a dub dub
-Clean counters and sinks
-Clean mirrors
-Wipe walls & baseboards
-replace vacuum filters
-put a few more items in donation bags
-actually donate the donation bags lol (did this before donation centers closed down)

ugh no don’t make me:
-Clean inside of the oven ughhhhhhhh
-Stretch goal: pull fridge out from wall and vacuum coils
-wash shower curtains (added)
-finish vacuuming cobwebs (added)
-clean silverware tray (added)

4 Likes

ugh the oven! It’s something I really need to do but really dreading.

2 Likes

I took the easy way out and used the self cleaner on my oven rather than doing it myself :grimacing:

2 Likes

Cleaned the heater coils! To the best of my ability. These old things are not very accessible.

War of the Ants is still being waged.

Many boxes have books in them, which is unideal because I have zero shelving. I’m considering lining one of the walls with the boxes tipped on their sides and using them to house the books upright that way. Classy? No. Accessible? Yes.

Updated list:

• Win the War of the Ants
  • Unbox/box books
  • Find graphing calculators in boxes somewhere for my partner for school
  • Repot Prayer Plant and Schefflera
  • Clean off dining table (landing zone for work supplies from old office - it’s a mess)
4 Likes

I reorganized my closet and dresser (again) today. I completed this task a few months ago. Clearly I struggle at maintenance.

3 Likes

Goals for 4/13

1. Go through Shirts and find 20 to donate (this may be a multi day task
  2. Wash windows in Dining Room
  3. Vacuum Living room
3 Likes

I pulled a bunch of pre-pregnancy clothes out and played another round of “what fits now”. Successful- found 3 shirts and some short and capris that will work. So that all got washed, my dresser reorganized, and the rest stored again. This should help keep me from needing to Buy much as the weather improves.

Also yesterday did the size turn over on the baby’s clothes. Went through stuff for what I’ll pass down to a friend.

5 Likes

Goals for 4/14

1. Go through shirts and find 13 to donate (or make into masks!)
  2. Wash bedroom windows
  3. mop kitchen floor
2 Likes

Goals for 4/16

1. Go through shirts and find 13 to donate or make into masks
  2. Wash bedroom windows
  3. Vacuum/Mop Living room
4 Likes

Spring cleaning. These were all the cat toys under the couch.

9 Likes