Spring Cleaning Motivation Thread

I really want my apartment to feel fresh and clean, and I find these types of threads to be a great motivation. I’m going to share my progress here and encourage anyone else who wants to do the same. I feel like I do small cleaning things every day but often don’t have the energy for bigger things like vacuuming, mopping, cleaning under things, etc., so that will be my biggest challenge.

If you do this with me, the prize is praise and a clean house at the end!

15 Likes

I need to clear out and re-organize the storage in my bathroom. I know I have some products I’m not going to use and might as well trash and it’s gotten a bit cluttered under there.

I’m in!

6 Likes

I could actually organize the shelves I built in our basement but my primary big cleaning project in near future will be my garage. It’s a huge mess and quite a bit of stuff can get purged.

2 Likes

I’m in! This is the triple whammy “spring; renewed our lease another year; baby here now” cleaning needs. Ex- desperately need to mop. Haven’t mopped since I lost much of my mobility at the end of pregnancy (35 or 36 weeks?). It’s been a while :grimacing:

Also had humidity issues this winter then the fan on our dryer stacks failed so all the upstairs apartment dryers were blowing back into ours :woman_facepalming: As a result, we have dried drips all over our (massive) windows.

7 Likes

Ugh, mopping. Our kitchen has old embossed linoleum floors. No matter how much I mop they look dirty so sometimes I throw up my hands and give up for months.

2 Likes

We have hardwood everywhere, upon which drool and baby vomit is often deposited :woman_facepalming: We spot clean whenever we can, but that plus the dog plus visitors that won’t >|*%}>|:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: remove their shoes no matter how many times I ask, means it’s pretty gross.

3 Likes

I started mopping the kitchen every single week when I had Doggo (because that was her main means of egress) and even now, after she has passed, I still try to, and I usually remove shoes in the house (sometimes extenuating circumstances), and, uh, the water is still dirty every week from just kitchen detritus I guess. Not as bad when she was alive, but still pretty, um, thought provoking.

The upside to doing it every week is that it only takes about 10 minutes max.

3 Likes

Fun.
My house is pretty clean, but I don’t often do a deep clean, just little things every day. However, I’d like to minimize some hidden clutter (things that live in drawers, etc) and do a few deeper cleaning tasks.
I just started and filled two give away boxes and then vacuumed the floors of my closets… that’s one of those things that like… never gets done. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been pretty lazy this winter with deeper cleaning, so I’m in. Today I cleaned closets and got a small goodwill bag together. My problem with clothes is when I look at them I think “I might wear that” so back it goes only to not get worn for another year. Another problem is that I have space for everything, it’s organized and not at all crammed in, so what’s it hurting to keep it? But someone else could use it, so I need to be more brutal about letting things go that were not the best purchases.

4 Likes

I mean, I used to mop regularly. But its 1300 feet of hard wood, and then I was the size of a whale, then I had abdominal surgery. I’m certainly not happy about it lol.

2 Likes

Oh I’m definitely not saying you should have been this whole time, at all! Just that it is kind of shocking when you start doing it and you’re just like, OH. For me, my thought is: I wonder what the rest of my floors are like. (The answer is awful, but I don’t do them as often, because I just can’t. Maybe once a month? Maybe? I have all hardwood or vinyl too, with only 1 area rug, but only about 1000 square feet total.)

2 Likes

I haven’t mopped in too long, and I have zero excuses! Unless laziness counts? You have excellent reasons.

3 Likes

I cleaned a skillet that I had been letting accumulate grease for far too long. It’s much better now.

8 Likes

Me! All of cleaning, decluttering, and organizing needs to happen! I just brought home a new mop, so I’ll start there—or rather, getting the floor cleared off to be able to mop.

3 Likes

I am already doing my (autumn) clean so I’ll join in for extra motivation! I’m doing pretty much all the storage in the house and encouraging my family to go through their wardrobes.

2 Likes

Yes! I love this thread. We are in despreate need of a deep clean and organizing/decluttering. Not sure what will happen when but will post here as it does.

3 Likes

I cleaned out the car after getting home from the store and loaded up the things to be donated. Then took garbage and recycling out. Going on a walk with a friend in a bit as it is 40+ degrees F today and that’s too nice to miss, but at least the mop is in the house!

4 Likes

Yep, need to clean a bunch of stuff out of the garage that’s mostly taking up space (and giving me something to trip over at random points). The inside of the house will need a deep clean too at some point, but that can wait until a little later.

1 Like

I don’t know exactly how much cleaning I’m going to get done, but I am 5000% here to to cheer everyone on. :pompom:

3 Likes

Ohhhhh… your comment makes me think about the fact that my car needs a deep clean. Badly. :upside_down_face:

1 Like