Sorry for the Jumpy Ad Errors!

Oh, that’s a nice thing to do too.
But does that help you out at all? It says you don’t take any profit…
I want to give you money to help you 1) afford food and 2) improve the site and other OMD projects.

Probably annual patreon is more than I’m thinking right now though. I suppose I can cancel any tier though, right? Maybe I should just do that. I’ve never used Patreon.

1 Like

Didn’t get you a screenshot, but finally got off my ass and made a Patreon account and signed up. Since I installed the adblocker and all, seems only fair.

2 Likes

I think annual patreon was going to be either $12, $24, or $50 based on what you can afford.

But yes you can cancel anytime. People cycle in/out all the time. The advantage of patreon is I do exclusive updates and such over there, and it links to your OMD forums account so you get the badge. But I understand not wanting another site.

OMD $$ go into a big pool, and PIF is one of our biggest expenses as far as books! I publish reports on what I take home vs what goes into the programs:

1 Like

You are very sweet and I’m sorry it’s so bad :sob: I’m really doing my best, I promise.

3 Likes

It’s not you. You did your due diligence, but only after a whole bunch of us talked you into it. This is not on you.

It’s not a real problem on computer, by the way.

6 Likes

I hate Patreon so much but I really want to give you money. I’ve been struggling with this since you started the forum. I’ll click the fuck out of links if you put them somewhere I can find.
Or just send you money.

6 Likes

OK. PIF it is.

2 Likes

You give your time and energy to being an admin! Also hating patreon is fair.

Click Amazon links if you buy things it helps really! All Amazon links on the forums are referrals

5 Likes

My plan is to post links to things I’m about to buy, but I haven’t used amazon in a minute.

5 Likes

You are a stronger person than me.

2 Likes

Seriously, though, folks, this doesn’t need to be a membership campaign. The goal of doing this was to take money not from OMD users but from advertisers. Then we take that money and use it to pay people in the OMD community to write more articles and guides that we want to do, help me train other people to teach PIF classes, or to pay editors for the show more $.

We’re not hurting for money right now because I’m not living off OMD - I just have hopes that by the time we hit our 5 year anniversary in October, OMD is serving the community in even better ways and has more than just me creating content.

Ad money seemed a good way to get there, but this ad situation is not serving the goals I set out with getting ad revenue.

8 Likes

Yes but I WANT you to make money for doing this. You are providing a valuable service and the platform for a community that I love so much. You should make millions of dollars for this.

8 Likes

My other strategy for ads was to design my OWN static ads for credit cards rewards (that would not pop over) and then write up the long-awaited OMD guide to credit card rewards and Bank account sign up bonuses.

I make a LOT of money and/or miles off referral bonuses for credit cards (sometimes as high as $50 per sign up). For a long time, I didn’t want to do this because I didn’t want to promote credit cards, but I end up writing a lot about them anyway and recommending them, so why not. As long as I can actually recommend the cards, then I’m not angry about it. There’s also a lot of credit-builder cards doing referral campaigns right now.

8 Likes

Ooooh you should definitely do that!

3 Likes

Also (don’t know if you remember) even MMM was doing credit card rewards, and then displaying his own ads for them on the forum.

2 Likes

Yup, I do remember! I have to figure out what I am allowed/not allowed to say with my referral network. Sometimes you can’t design your own ads.

5 Likes

I have a complaint about the ads.
Check out the size of the avocado seed in this ad for some wellness course thing. I’d be outraged if I bought an avo with a seed that big.

Other than that the ads seem to be alright? The top one disappears when I scroll. And the bottom one goes if I close it.

The other quirk I noticed is that the ads sometimes load different sizes?

Using IPhone 8 iOS 14.5.1. Not really a problem but interesting. I prefer the smaller one - blocks less screen.

4 Likes

Double avocado!

8 Likes

It’s to make up for the crappy pit to yum ratio.

3 Likes

I think it’s working! Android, pixel 4 (I’m not sure which version of Android), the ad goes away when I click “reply” so I can actually access all the buttons!

4 Likes