Sorry for the Jumpy Ad Errors!

Admins are aware of what is going on with jumpy ads - there is testing happening - and we’re working on it with the developers.

Update 5/2: We have killed the ads while I work with the developers to improve site performance. If you are still seeing them, do a hard refresh or clear cookies.

Update 5/3: THEY ARE BACK I LOVE THIS MY FAVORITE. I am working with the ad network developers in some strong words. Please post any and all screenshots of brokenness if you can on this thread.

Update 5/5: We are still having issues with ads, but a number of problems are fixed. Unfortunately, blocking ad for patrons is not still funcitonal. Screenshots are still helpful.

7 Likes

@anomalily, on mobile/in app, the ads end up covering up the post-making buttons… I know you probably have limited control, but if anything can be changed to avoid this, it would be great…

7 Likes

Yup, it’s been reported and noted! I have been assured they are “working on it”.

You can “close” but it is so hard to do on mobile with my unclicky fingers

6 Likes

Thanks! Just wanted to be sure it was on the radar. :blush:

thumb_smallest-things-in-the-universe-x-on-the-mobile-ad-67876665

16 Likes

Also just checking the end goal is static ads and not video ones? I’m gonna have trouble if they keep moving. Though I seem to be mostly getting still ones and can’t remember if I’ve seen a video one today, they were definitely happening yesterday.

4 Likes

There are no video ads whatsoever, I wasn’t even going with an add network with video ads. The things that looked like video were the ads reloading…which we’ve improved the cycling on.

2 Likes

I did just get an ad with some minor animations though not full “video” /TV/youtube ad. It was for some bitcoin app.

3 Likes

Hmm might need to check this, I’m currently watching a video advert for a Medela breast pump. It’s just a few pictures of pump parts moving like a PowerPoint presentation, but definitely moving. (This ad is not a problem, but there may be others that aren’t quite static either?)

3 Likes

Oh and just popping back in to say yay! Well done on getting the site monetized!

3 Likes

Yea animated gifs will be happening but not videos.

It’s not considered fixed yet right? Mine is still very jumpy with the loading, regularly blocks my posting box, I keep clicking the wrong threads, etc.

3 Likes

No, they’re still working on it.

4 Likes

:+1: ty!

1 Like

Does clicking the ads help? Like would occasionally clicking a link make any meaningful difference to the monetisation? Or is it more based on x thousand views?

Because I will click if needed.

6 Likes

I mean right now I’m clicking on accident :joy: but I will happily continue to click, and do it on purpose, if it does help!

2 Likes

By contract, I am not allowed to say anything that might encourage clicking. (cough)

7 Likes

I know the current ad situation is not the goal. Can you talk about what we can expect when things are working right? ngl I’m avoiding here a bit until it’s a bit less awful for usability. hah.

5 Likes

My ad blocker has over 20,000 ads blocked from OMD in the past few days. Ummmm. I’m scared.

5 Likes

Once this is fixed, will I need to close the ad that displays at the bottom of the screen every time and blocks some of the options? I am using a browser on my laptop. Thanks.

5 Likes