Show me your kitchen!

The table is great!

The point of knowing a phrase is racist is not to use it :roll_eyes::woman_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

I googled it and couldn’t find any outrage about it. Unclear if it is actual offensive not just a bit of vernacular with a slightly shady history.

1 Like

To be clear I could absolutely imagine buying a pack of poo tickets to take a trip up shit creek.

4 Likes

If you’re headed up shit Creek please bring a paddle

2 Likes

My kitchen reno, a novel:

Text

Our kitchen was not great when we bought the house, but we knew this and knew we’d have to fix it later. It was functional, though, so okay. Too many years later, we finally got around to it.

Difficulties/complaints:

• There were four doorways. One exterior that leads to our driveway, one to the laundry/garage, one pocket door to the tv room, and then the opening-not-doorway to the open living area. That really put a cramp on options.
  • The sink and stove/oven are right on top of each other, so if one person wants to get something out of the oven and someone else is standing at the sink, someone has to give way.
  • We thought we had an L kitchen but really it was functionally more like a galley kitchen. I loathe galley kitchens.
  • The cabinets were old as dirt and were trying to disintegrate, so we knew we had to replace them. $$$$

Solution part 1:

• The pocket door (first picture in Angle 2 group) leading to the tv room got closed up, which allowed the stove to shift over.
  • The stove shifted over a small enough amount that we did not have to mess with the wall plugs or roof vent, the hood in the kitchen was getting removed anyway because it was a too-low, too-old microwave before.
  • The sink moved over a teeny bit the other way which allowed for a GLORIOUS corner cabinet with turning storage shelves (is there a better name than lazy susan?) Dead space became useful!!

Solution part 2:

• Weird wall nook thing (seen in first picture below) was removed and that wall was shortened. The nook and, around the corner, pantry were all demolished and turned into fridge/pantry area. The pantry is now deeper and has fabulous pull out shelves so we’re getting just as much use out of what we had before even though it’s slightly less square footage probably.
  • Since the fridge moved to the opposite wall from where it originally was, this now allowed for a fantastic run of counter from the sink all the way over to the exterior door. This stretch of counter is now used for drying dishes and 90% of food prep since it’s one step away (one turn, really) from the fridge/pantry.
Angle 1, before during after photos

Angle 2, before and after

Angle 3, before after

Angle 4, before during after

Now my problem is that we will stalk houses online to daydream about moving to a bigger place or with a different layout and their kitchens all suck compared to ours, even houses that cost twice as much as we paid for ours. :joy:

7 Likes

Can you show me the pantry drawers?

YUP.

I’m in the middle of canning so the kitchen’s a disaster right now so no pix… but mine is SUPER puny next to most of these. At least not a galley kitchen like in my first ever apartment though!

1 Like

Upper cabinet does not have drawers but is still deep, I pulled the top-most drawer out here

Bottom drawer pulled all the way out to show depth

3 Likes

Ughhh we need to do that, it would make ours SO much more functional.

It’s been heavily toddler rearranged, which doesn’t help lol. But yeah it’s hard to get to stuff at the back. I do bins a lot so I can just move blocks of items, but it’s still a challenge.

4 Likes

I’m always confused when people choose not to put pullout drawers in pantries and base cabinets. Sure, they cost more, but they make life so much easier. You could buy them at a box store or probably online too if you wanted to.

3 Likes

Could you have a film applied to your windows to cut the heat? Window films are pretty common here in Florida.

2 Likes

I love your kitchen! I think the U shape is ideal and you have so much counter space!

2 Likes

Here is my tiny kitchen from a few different angles.

The espresso machine is my pride and joy. The ceramic stove is a bit shit but I can’t justify replacing it with an induction until it breaks.

This will be the first summer with the fancy ice making fridge. I like being a fancy man with a nice fridge.
New old table is a delight. Previous table was round and not ideal.

It’s a nice kitchen just small. Bench space limited and often covered in junk. Single sink has been an adjustment.

11 Likes

That’s not a tiny kitchen! When dd lived in NYC, I could stand at the sink and stretch my arms out and touch both walls and then turn sideways and do the same. LOL

5 Likes

Ahhh I remember having drawers installed in my pantry in Brisbane. We took the space the fridge was built into and made it useful cupboard space and popped the fridge beside the built ins.

I miss them. Sigh.

This is currently what our pantry looks like. Obligatory Tupperware and cask of goon.

It used to be on the wall that we removed. It’s now sitting in the space an antique cupboard took up. That antique was what the whole kitchen had been built/designed around 30 years ago.

5 Likes

I like your booth seat in your dining area.

1 Like

Mrs PDM’s work. Seat was bought with extra material to make the backing. Previous owners had no table and the bench extended to the wall there for bar seats.

1 Like

Finally getting around to sharing photos! We have a galley kitchen that is pretty large/functional compared to many townhomes in the area and was actually a selling point, despite it not being the kitchen of my dreams.

Pros:

• Lots of storage space due to the pantry at the back, not all of the cabinets are full yet
  • Decent counter space
  • Wide enough that two adults plus a small person can all be happy

Cons:

• Who made these design choices? I hate the tile backsplashes and would never ever choose a floor with uneven surfaces that gathers all the crumbs but doesn’t let them go
  • No windows (but I’d rather have a bright/light dining and living room than kitchen so it’s an ok tradeoff)
  • I have no idea where to put the learning tower/kitchen helper when it arrives later in the week that’s safe for the kid
9 Likes

Another member of the tiny kitchen club reporting for duty!
This is the whole kitchen, in its 1990s builder-grade cabinet glory:

Its main redeeming factor is this awesome spinny corner cabinet to the right of the stove/left of the fridge. The edges have a nice lip to keep things from flying off, but the lip isn’t so big it’s annoying.

15 Likes

I forgot to take pics while it was light out

Best part of the kitchen is New Pup staying in place :laughing:

21 Likes