Show me your kitchen!

She says, and displays an immaculate and beautifully designed kitchen

10 Likes

I love love love the threads like this! I have a post it on my phone to remind myself this exists when I get home from work :slight_smile:

@turtlegirl I am totally hiring you if I ever get around to redoing my kitchen layout!

4 Likes

12 Likes

Oooh that looks like a very, very nice work triangle.

2 Likes

Hahaha, when I saw the kitchen in this apartment it was all over. I would totally buy this unit if they ever went condo because I love the layout so much.

5 Likes

I believe it!! With all the cooking you do, a beautiful functional kitchen makes sense

2 Likes

Yeah… I have a suspicion this was done to make wiring/pipes as simple as possible and to pay as little possible for installing cabinets. (The stove is on a wall that separates our apartment from the main building hall; the butcher block/mini cube shelf wall is the wall between our kitchen and the hall to the bedroom/bathroom.)

Like, if this were me, the fridge would be where the butcher block is, and this would be a U-shaped kitchen with cabinets all around. Also the sink would be further from the stove so that there would be more staging area near the stove.

I do really like our little shelf over the sink, though, it makes me smile.

3 Likes

Come live with me in small weird kitchen land

2 Likes

This looks a million times better in my mind, post-reno.

The most helpful changes:

• Magically adding more counterspace - at first there was only the space between the sink and door
    • additional spice rack (and extra spices in a cabinet, not on the counter)
    • wall hooks behind the stove for big utensils
    • shelf with mug hooks over the microwave
    • hanging pot rack
    • moving the dish rack from next to the sink to behind it
    • adding a free shelving unit, so the toaster could move out of the way
  • Making things more accessible
    • moving the microwave from the top of the fridge to the counter
    • Re-org a lot of stuff in the cabinets, so the least-used items are in the hardest to reach cabinets

And some useful tools:

• stainless steel French press, so we stop cleaning up broken glass all the time
  • box grater - the half-plastic ones were breaking and hard to use
10 Likes

That is exactly what I would have done to the space. So much more usable!

2 Likes

It works well, especially the peninsula, where I do all my prep.

1 Like

I think our house is around 1200 square feet… And of that the square footage on the second story comes with six and a half foot tall ceilings, not really somewhere I wish to spend my time!.. Relative to the rest of the house, the kitchen is the only generously sized room. I’m currently sitting on my too small couch because a normal sized one simply won’t fit in the space.

Even though the kitchen is bigish in comparison to the rest of our house, it’s still a pretty awkward space with being a wide galley style but not quite wide enough for an island, and having three separate doorways into the room! PS My one and only bathroom is literally the smallest bathroom I have ever been in in ANY house, and it also contains the chimney which makes it even smaller and means that there is a super narrow door to even walk into the bathroom LOL!

The primary bedroom is around 10 ft x 10ft and second bedroom is even smaller and lacks closets. The 3rd bedroom is in the aforementioned six and a half foot high ceiling space. Old houses can be weird :slight_smile:

3 Likes

New fridge, who dis? :tada::tada::tada: SO excited to have a fridge that won’t be 1/2 frozen, half warm, with an ice maker I need to empty and clean out every 3 days. Old fridge is going to one of my brothers to be an office fridge, where it will replace a poorly functioning mini fridge.

17 Likes

gasp

It’s beautiful.

3 Likes

I thought I didn’t need a newer fridge and I may have been wrong. How wide a space is needed for that?

2 Likes

The same as our old one! But it’s taller and a little deeper. I don’t know what it’s like in Aus, but our fridges are MASSIVE. We debated on counter depth versus not for a long time- this one is considered a regular one but is in between the two depths.

36” wide I think? 32” deep. Like 70” tall I think?

ETA one really nice thing about the French door freezer bottom style is that a higher % is fridge. On side by sides, like we had before, it’s like 1/3 freezer 2/3 fridge. This is like 1/4 and 3/4. So even though it isn’t bigger cu ft by much, it’s MUCH more fridge space.

4 Likes

I should come clean. I’m pre-renovation (pulling walls down and shifting the entire kitchen) so this is all a cheeky ploy to get practical ideas on what does and doesn’t work from real people using real kitchens.

Related, here’s our current kitchen. It’s a giant U shape with fridge and pantry at one end. It’s about 1.7m (5’9") between benches, too far for me. Benches are also high, 0.95m (3’2"), and I can’t cook properly because that’s my elbow height. There is heaps of pantry and cupboard space and the light is great. I admit I’m confused by the pantries with windows without curtains, food spoils in light & heat?

Also this is about as clean as it gets. Sometimes I manage to clear that bench but normally I can’t seem to keep things off it.

This window is gorgeous, and also becomes so hot during the day we can’t do anything at the sink.

See these bottles? The bench used to come out this far, and we cut it off because we kept hitting hips and heads (small child) on it, and the fridge door barely cleared it.

It’s also the centre of our living spaces and it turns out, while the kitchen is the “heart of the home”, I do not love a kitchen that people constantly walk through.

10 Likes

Supposedly my house is 873 sq ft.

:joy::joy::joy:

I mean, I picked it so it is my own fault…

4 Likes

I like cozy :heart: I am also in awe of your land and wildlife.

2 Likes

Sneak peak. We picked up our new old table. The rest of the kitchen needs to wait until it doesn’t look like a bomb went off.
Or to use a phrase I learned is actual a bit xenophobic if not racist - doesn’t look like a pakapoo ticket. (I always thought it was pack of poo tickets - whatever that is).

5 Likes