Show me your kitchen!

I know size doesn’t matter, but I’m getting shy about my tiny one over here.

9 Likes

So long as you share it with others and you all garner pleasure from it.

6 Likes

Tiny kitchens unite!

I wouldn’t have done this kitchen this way. Whose idea was it to put the dishwasher where opening it blocks access to the pantry? Tidy up time is so much easier with easy access to both at once.

Breakfast bar right next to a floor level change? That seems safe! (I could help the situation with a stool of the correct height).

I can’t reach anything on any of those overhead cupboards unless it is in the front 5cm of the bottom shelf. Having them isn’t helpful for us, it means I leave all the things that “belong” in them on the bench because I can’t reach.

This kitchen was put in 7 or 8 years ago by someone who subdivided the block and flipped our house. It photographs ok but is quite low quality. The appliances are breaking and not ever good at their job when they do work (not the dishwasher, we replaced that :heart_eyes:). The oven needs to be replaced now. I think the previous owner was fond of gumption and the laminate bench surface has worn through in places. We are still tossing up putting a new kitchen with a better layout where this one is, or changing the layout of the house completely with a major renovation :woman_shrugging:

Edit to add that I LOVE our coffee machine and kettle :+1:

12 Likes

I actually don’t have any good photos of our tiny kitchen - and we’re “between” kitchen tables at the moment so I’m not going to show our ridiculous portable desk table solution.

3 Likes

Tiny kitchen! Still not fully put together - where the heck do I put the box containing the cute Japanese chawan set? where does the gargoyle go? - but it’s somewhat come together.

16 Likes

Full disclosure, I don’t do much cooking these days; mostly my husband feeds me. We got an air fryer recently and he’s been using it a lot.

The house came with a wall oven, which I rather like because the height makes it easier to take things out of it, but the person who actually uses said oven isn’t a fan. The oven is directly across from the counter with the stovetop, so when you open the oven you have to stand off to the side or else not open the door very far.

The countertops are tile and no longer have all of their grout, so step one of cleaning the kitchen is usually vacuuming up any crumbs/dry ingredients. We’d think about fixing up the grout but we’re planning to redo the kitchen soon with new countertops that aren’t tile.

14 Likes

Ooooo share a link to those cutting boards? Beautiful space!!

1 Like

I love my gigantic sink and two pantries.

Also - my kitchen 3 years ago

13 Likes

Love the two tone cabinets!!

1 Like

This is my most favorite Chicago rental kitchen. I am annoyed the landlord put cabinets in with a lighter wood stain than the rest of the molding but functionally this space works great. The pantry is the stuff of dreams.

15 Likes

Omg between the windows and the pantry? :heart_eyes: dream

6 Likes

Deleted

14 Likes

This was the whole kitchen when I bought my house. I’m not much of a cook, but that didn’t work even for me. Plus ugly lol. It got remodeled before I moved in.

8 Likes

It became this

14 Likes

There’s enough room for that to have been a nicely laid out kitchen if the landlord cared about such things. It’s too bad so many don’t. You’re doing great with what you have.

2 Likes

Here’s ours. My wife just bought an immersion blender and hasn’t found a home for it, so ignore that clutter.

Pros

• All that counter and cabinet space
  • I do like the countertops

Room for improvement/change

• I really want to repaint the tile and cabinets.
  • Nowhere to put stools along the island: if someone is over and they’re cooking, they have to sit on the couch
8 Likes

We have the same kettle! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Thank you! This is by far the nicest place I have ever lived. It feels like a dream! And these are the cutting boards, I absolutely love them for the wood feel/lightweight combo, plus they’re food service grade and come in lots of shapes and sizes, but they slide! You’ll need rubber to make them stick to the counter, I buy the type you’d put under a rug and cut it up.

3 Likes

Some of y’alls kitchens look bigger than my entire house. This makes me feel… feelings.

5 Likes

FWIW, location is huge. This house we’re in now with giant kitchen? The mortgage is only $300 more a month than we paid 7 years ago for 500sq ft and no balcony or AC. But they’re in different cities (but only like, 8 miles apart or something). Very, very different lifestyles.

3 Likes