Share your WIP

it’s a made up colourway - helical knitting to give a mashup of a regia and some lang.

and then of course the contrast heels & toes. Because I have a weakness for golds and mustards.

5 Likes

Mmm yep i like all those colours

2 Likes

What is helical knitting?

1 Like

helical knitting is a way of doing single stripes in circular knitting that avoids the jogs that happen when you carry the yarn up. It also fixes the weird tension ladder that sometimes occurs when carrying the yarn.

So you have colour A and colour B.
You knit colour A until you are 3 stitches before where you left off with colour B.
Then you drop yarn A and slip three stitches purlwise without working them.
Now the stitch on your needle has B as the working yarn, and you knit around until you are 3 stitches away from where you dropped off A.
Then you drop yarn B and slip three stitches purlwise without working them.
Now the stitch on your needle has A as the working yarn…

You are chasing the yarn in a spiral as you go around, making a double helix, which is where it gets the name ‘helical’. You can do this with more than two strands, just keep picking up and moving along for as long as you are truly working in the round.

In other words, you aren’t just switching colours at the end of the row, you switch colours as you get close to the next yarn. Because you aren’t doing the switch and carrying the yarn up a row (just working once you get there), there isn’t the jog or any tension weirdness.

It made a lot more sense when I tried it.

4 Likes

This is a great explanation, thanks! I’ve wondered how to do stripes without jogs.

3 Likes

Using up the last of the yarn from the last sock by introducing a new main colour, plus additional dark gold for the contrast heel and toe. (The original ran out while i was doing heel short rows)

Started with the new colour striping the brown, and then when the brown ran out, brought in the redish orange.

6 Likes

20220818_114007_small2

Woolly Wormhead test knit

I love how their brain works. It takes a bit of effort at the beginning to see what they’re doing, but once you get it, very cool. And the pattern is exceptionally well documented. (24 pages for 1 hat)

7 Likes

New sock colourway mashup because picking up stitches for the second sleeve isn’t compelling right now.

I am completely in love with the happiness of these two yarns together

2 Likes

I think you’re all to be commended for your work! I do NOT do crochet or knitting. For one thing, I found out I had a trauma related to knitting, although I have no idea wtf it might be.

Knitting? Really?
Yes, really – no joke.

Anyway, I also am lousy at: counting and being consistent with my tension so almost everything I try looks like hell. And, yes, my standards are through the roof. So, I “play” with yarn or make very quick things, but never attempt patterns.

Anyway, go you guys; this stuff is great!

2 Likes

These continue to surprise and delight as new stripe patterns emerge (ran out of green on the heel, so went with the blue just to finish that off.)

8 Likes

Siblings, not twins

8 Likes

oh i love the idea of using different self striping/self patterning yarn together!! these look great!

I have a lot of sock knitting scraps and this seems more entertaining than a blanket or other scrappy projects.

4 Likes

Would anyone from the WIP thread be interested in another crafting chat, a la ye olde pandemique discord days, sometime in the next week or two? I miss y’all’s beautiful faces.

5 Likes

yep :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sweet.

I’ll probably try to do the actual coordination over on Discord, but will post times/etc here whenever we have them.

2 Likes

Swatch for a cardigan. I bought this yarn dec 2019, and I’ve already made and frogged a sweater from it, so I guess not all that bad how long it has been sitting around.

6 Likes

Working on the front right of the cardigan.

I’ve been using an old cardigan i kept around from high school as my template for length. I’m trying for something not quite cropped, but closer to high hip length. Always challenging with bottom up and compensating for expected growth during blocking.

5 Likes

Shoulders seamed

I will wait to do the button band until i know my buttons (somehow in my stash i don’t have 4 of the correct size - I should see if I want to go to a single button), so i will take this time to do sleeves and finish the back collar stabilization.

now the fear that the blocking will make it too long, I really like the current length.

5 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

It seems I really was in sweater energy and should have brought that cardigan with me.

Since I didn’t, and there were a few black friday sales here, i present a new wooly cabled vest.

7 Likes