Sewing Thread

Thanks. Batting is what I was thinking of, but I couldn’t remember the name. Unfortunately, I don’t have any.

I’ve also realized this form is short waisted and I am the opposite. I need to do some measurements - I’m hoping I’m enough larger than the form that its hips are not bigger than my waist.

4 Likes

I cut out two more sets of mask pieces at lunch today. I’ll sew them up this evening for my friend. :slight_smile: They’re gonna be the prettiest ones. :rofl: So of course they’re the ones I’m giving away.

2 Likes

I made a pretty mask!
Does it need to be pretty? No. Is it anyhow? Yes.

The link was ugly so reposting pics :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Damn, I do love a nice crisp seam.

I sewed some masks today and I forgot how satisfying it is to sew plain weave cotton. So crisp!

4 Likes

I have (4) yards of khaki cotton canvas suiting I’d planned to make trousers out of. But now that pattern is lost and I’m like um i could make a jedi outfit

11 Likes

DO IT. Jedi is one of the words H used to describe my personal style and I’m not mad about it one bit

6 Likes

I need to find at least a rough pattern to copy. I wonder if (4) yards is enough…

JEDIIIII

1 Like

Question:

How do you convert a sheet into yardage to see if you have enough to test out a pattern?
I have a queen sized sheet I want to use for pattern testing. I can obviously measure it lengthwise but how do I convert the much longer width into a usable similitude of standard yardage??

2 Likes

Cut out pattern pieces. Lay pattern pieces on top. They fit, or they don’t…

4 Likes

;PPP
Fair enough. Upon opening the pattern it looks like it includes pattern layout diagrams. Phew. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I don’t have to figure out grains JUST yet.

2 Likes

Grains are easy, measure a point on the the grainline with the straight line of the fabric (either the fold or the selvedge) and then make sure the rest of that line is the same distance away. Grains are harder when you’re reusing fabrics but usually you can look closely at the fabric to get a general idea

2 Likes

Well, I measured myself and the dress form. From the shoulders down, my waist is only an inch above the fullest part of the form’s hips, and my waist is about an inch smaller than the form at that point. I’m not sure I an make this work.

I found this video on making my own dress form with duct tape, and now I want to do that. Too bad I’m isolated so there isn’t anyone to tape me.

I made one of those a while back. It got very deformed very quickly and I ended up giving up on the whole thing. Having my husband tape me up and then cut me of of the mold was probably the best thing about it. :wink:

3 Likes

I’m sorry it didn’t work out for you (beyond the immediate reward), but I guess it makes me more ok with not being able to make one. Still trying to figure out how to make some sort of form that is shaped roughly like me.

1 Like

I cut out the pieces for a second pair of lounge pants. :slight_smile: But I was a big dum dum and sewed it wrong from the get LOL. :rofl: So don’t mind me, I’ll just be sitting here seam picking and reminding myself not to get cocky. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

I suddenly and for the first time in my life have the desire to record and make a vlog about my desires for non-binary period clothing.
O_O
This is terrible. I have none of the equipment. Or the ability to edit. Or the knowledge on how to edit. Or a particularly good youtube voice. LOL.

11 Likes

I’m getting help tonight :wink: :tiger2:

9 Likes

I’m doing vlogs using my phone camera and single takes…

3 Likes

I pinned in one side seam and pocket of this pair of lounge pants and started machine sewing the pocket mouth (several folded layers) and it looks just as shit as last time. :<<< I wish I had a walking foot for my machine; this stretchy material is just puckering and forming weird with so many layers playing together.

Plan: unpick and sew the pocket mouth by hand with two rows of backstitching.
Because fuck it.

2 Likes

Can you adjust your presser foot tension? My mechanic says PF pressure should be really light

1 Like